Help!!!!!

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to saltwater aquariums. I had no idea that I have to cycle a tank before I add any livestock. I brought two clowns from lfs, bought aragonite sand and three live rocks in 15gallon fluval tank. I understand some ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates swings can happen during a cycle. Since I already have two fish, should I use prime to lower those levels?
Will using prime slow down the process of cycling? How much should I feed clownfish during the cycle?
I recently did 100% water change bc my nitrates were over 160 (I think this was due to using old lfs water) Will having a skimmer help? Should I use bottled bacteria to speed up the process? What should I doooooo!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test ammonia for one :)

Bottled bacteria is ok to use. I like biospira.

The live rock may already be cycled if it was in the water at the LFS for awhile and brought home.

Don’t use dirty LFS water ever :)

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a deep breath and remember one thing. Nothing happens fast with saltwater. Since you used live rock you should be good to go. But remember patience is key. Just keep monitoring your water to make sure everything is ok

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test ammonia for one :)

Bottled bacteria is ok to use. I like biospira.

The live rock may already be cycled if it was in the water at the LFS for awhile and brought home.

Don’t use dirty LFS water ever :)
Shouldn’t tank have at least 3ppm ammonia to keep cycle running? While the cycle needs ammonia to keep it running, clownfish are harmed by any level of ammonia. What should I do if ammonia reaches above 0? Should I lower the ammonia by adding more biomedia or bacteria or immediate water changes?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t tank have at least 3ppm ammonia to keep cycle running? While the cycle needs ammonia to keep it running, clownfish are harmed by any level of ammonia. What should I do if ammonia reaches above 0? Should I lower the ammonia by adding more biomedia or bacteria or immediate water changes?

No. It doesn't need ammonia to keep cycle running. Once bacteria are there, they are there. You said you used live rock? Like wet rock out of one of their bins? If so, you may not need to cycle.

Do water changes to keep ammonia under control. This is called a soft cycle.

Signs of ammonia poisoning will be red gills, fast breathing, hovering at top/bottom, etc.

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It doesn't need ammonia to keep cycle running. Once bacteria are there, they are there. You said you used live rock? Like wet rock out of one of their bins? If so, you may not need to cycle.

Do water changes to keep ammonia under control. This is called a soft cycle.

Signs of ammonia poisoning will be red gills, fast breathing, hovering at top/bottom, etc.
LFS had their live rocks in a cardboard box. I don’t think they were wet. At what level of ammonia should I do water change?

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pictures of the tank?
image.jpg

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the reasoning for having the water level so low? Is the water high enough for the heater?
I can’t make the water level higher than the tank is at rn because my tank has a lid. My heater is not fully submersible, so its top will stick out. Once I put a lid on top, the heater will just shift below again.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t make the water level higher than the tank is at rn because my tank has a lid. My heater is not fully submersible, so its top will stick out. Once I put a lid on top, the heater will just shift below again.
Is it not an Eheim Jager? They're fully submersible

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, but I might get one fully sumbersible. My current heater (junk bought from LFS) won’t make temp go above 74F. Is eheim jager good at keeping temps?
Yes, they're one of the better heaters on the market. The top of them look just like the one in your picture so I was confused haha Does the lid for the tank not have a section you can take out over the back of the tank? Or is the cut-out over the left chamber? I have a Fluval Flex 15 gallon but haven't used the lid so I'm having a hard time picturing what side the cut-out was on

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't even seem like the water is high enough to reach the overflow. I guess there may be a lower opening? Is the return pump plugged in and water circulating?

Can you pull the heater and take a quick pic too? I don't see how that isn't a Jager, it looks exactly like one from above.

Back