NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh i actually have a video of it.. lets see if i can find it

i used to have a rock that had a perfect midas blenny sized hole in it, but he stopped using it and it had an aptasia on it so i just took it out. then i put in a rock frag rack type thing..

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/grey-sandbed-frag-rock-reef-rax.html

and he started doing that. took me a bit to realize he was trying to squeeze into one of the frag holes lol. he's pretty fully grown so he didn't fit, kind of a situation of a large cat in a small shoe box type deal. i guess i should bleach that rock with the hole in it and put it back in.. poor guy

Ha ha ha ha! What a little jerk.
I love mine. He may have the friendliest personality of any fish I have ever owned. (older pictures)
5BE9370D-277A-4E58-8D2D-4F45CC4B5B90.jpeg

159F2BFF-C640-48FB-919E-F8FCA5B0EA66.jpeg

Main hole
CCCB835D-D1C1-47BE-8B48-22641053D73B.jpeg

Use of an emergency hole when the big, food human comes in too fast
F44334DC-9978-4C2B-8AA3-0781A88B305A.jpeg

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh i actually have a video of it.. lets see if i can find it

i used to have a rock that had a perfect midas blenny sized hole in it, but he stopped using it and it had an aptasia on it so i just took it out. then i put in a rock frag rack type thing..

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/grey-sandbed-frag-rock-reef-rax.html

and he started doing that. took me a bit to realize he was trying to squeeze into one of the frag holes lol. he's pretty fully grown so he didn't fit, kind of a situation of a large cat in a small shoe box type deal. i guess i should bleach that rock with the hole in it and put it back in.. poor guy

Your tank is looking great dude !

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking great dude !

thanks dude, i should get a new video i think it's actually looking decent now. i took a hammer and chisel to the rocks that had ugly hitchhiker zoas on them and glued all the sps frags down.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks dude, i should get a new video i think it's actually looking decent now. i took a hammer and chisel to the rocks that had ugly hitchhiker zoas on them and glued all the sps frags down.
Nicee. Why do you not have a build thread. Get it together zang! ;)

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're pretty awesome fish, definitely something @Hemmdog should consider! (i can't remember if u already have a blenny)

i kinda want a nano tank just to get another ecsenius blenny, maybe the flametail or tailspot
Yea they are cool. I had one for awhile but he managed to jump. He seemed a little big for my tank somehow at the time, I’ll get another when I upgrade for sure.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee. Why do you not have a build thread. Get it together zang! ;)

hah, maybe.. i'll just skip pics of my birdsnest of wires and dog food container ATO reservoir!

i got the coralbox dosing pump a week ago and still haven't set that thing up, stupid vacation

what stuff do you dose? i'm torn on what to do with pumps 3 and 4. i kinda don't test for mag or dose it much, maybe monthly so that seems like a waste.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hah, maybe.. i'll just skip pics of my birdsnest of wires and dog food container ATO reservoir!

i got the coralbox dosing pump a week ago and still haven't set that thing up, stupid vacation

what stuff do you dose? i'm torn on what to do with pumps 3 and 4. i kinda don't test for mag or dose it much, maybe monthly so that seems like a waste.
Lol nice. Mine has 3 dosers. I do esv 2 part. For 2 heads. The calcium component has some mag in it so I rarely dose just mag either. The 3rd head I should hookup my Nopox bottle to, but I haven’t got around to ordering more dosing line, I always forget before checkout on brs. Same with the fragging scalpel I’ve been dying to get for the past year haha.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol nice. Mine has 3 dosers. I do esv 2 part. For 2 heads. The calcium component has some mag in it so I rarely dose just mag either. The 3rd head I should hookup my Nopox bottle to, but I haven’t got around to ordering more dosing line, I always forget before checkout on brs. Same with the fragging scalpel I’ve been dying to get for the past year haha.

learn something new everyday.. i do the esv 2 part too and didn't know it had mag in it lol. i read somewhere it has trace elements in it, but missed the mag part. makes sense for why i'm never low. figured it was because i only had a couple of montis

mine has 4 dosers, but my container only has 3 sections because why would those match up

nopox was high on my list so that'll probably be one of the 3

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
learn something new everyday.. i do the esv 2 part too and didn't know it had mag in it lol. i read somewhere it has trace elements in it, but missed the mag part. makes sense for why i'm never low. figured it was because i only had a couple of montis

mine has 4 dosers, but my container only has 3 sections because why would those match up

nopox was high on my list so that'll probably be one of the 3
Haha of course they wouldn’t match up. That would make to much sense. Yea I learned about the mag being in the calcium part on here a few months ago, I think Randy posted it to, a legit source. It’s strange though because prior I felt like I did have to dose it more often than I do now. Maybe it’s because my rock was new and it could absorb some mag in the water and now it’s at capacity? I wish I knew more about how that worked.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah I got a question, where are the rest of the pictures! Lol. Welcome nice tank, do you keep a lot of rock in the sump?
I for the first time do use rocks in the sump and see benefits already plus sponge growth

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go away sea lettuce! No one wants you here!
A3E7401C-717F-4744-AB35-7AE32F2F5CB4.jpeg

The tangs don’t eat it? And probably explains your low nutrient level, seems that they are doing a good job at nutrient control ! You cannot take the piece of the rock out? It’s looks like something to have inside of the refugium, and last one, how did it end up there? Sorry about the loaded question, lol. I personally think that it looks nice as long as it is not all over the tank and smothering the corals. I can’t tell from the picture.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The hot dogs vs. hot dog buns problem in action!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signed up for the WWC live sale. This will be my first one. They got me by giving away a free frag if you get the $25 shipping module if you posted a pic of a WWC lineage coral. Hopefully I don’t spend to much! Trying to not break the bank. Trying to get some more acros though. I really need a frag rack if anyone has a used one they’d consider selling. It’s crazy they are $40+ new + shipping. Anyways, WWC Space Invader
FF8B4190-FDC0-4CD0-B0B6-54114A06D7CF.jpeg

I definitely wanted to do that too. I am traveling all next week and you have to take delivery then so I will wait for the next one. I am def starting to love these acros and the sps May be the way I go predominantly. I love @fabathuon (sp) tank. Getting the scape in my head.

Btw I won a acrylic frag rack from 805reefer on IG. Haven’t received it yet. I’ll let ya know how it works. And if you don’t have one by that time and I am. It using it right away you are welcome to borrow.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signed up for the WWC live sale. This will be my first one. They got me by giving away a free frag if you get the $25 shipping module if you posted a pic of a WWC lineage coral. Hopefully I don’t spend to much! Trying to not break the bank. Trying to get some more acros though. I really need a frag rack if anyone has a used one they’d consider selling. It’s crazy they are $40+ new + shipping. Anyways, WWC Space Invader
FF8B4190-FDC0-4CD0-B0B6-54114A06D7CF.jpeg

Great photo - good luck, and keep us posted!

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this very interesting. My Midas lives in my bare bottom tank and does fine in his main and emergency hidey holes. Most of the day he is out swimming, front and center. I had not considered how his behavior would be different with a sand bed.

I have a sand bed but the Midas doesn't stir it up - spends most time either swimming or in a hidy hole!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs don’t eat it? And probably explains your low nutrient level, seems that they are doing a good job at nutrient control ! You cannot take the piece of the rock out? It’s looks like something to have inside of the refugium, and last one, how did it end up there? Sorry about the loaded question, lol. I personally think that it looks nice as long as it is not all over the tank and smothering the corals. I can’t tell from the picture.
Yea my tang doesn’t eat it, he will pick at it occasionally but it never makes a dent. Yea this Sea lettuce is consuming all my nutrients, it’s been a struggle. I could take the rock out and pour peroxide on it but that comes with it’s own risks, mainly upsetting coral. Once I get some frag racks I’ll unmount my coral, put them on frag racks, take the rock out, siphon the sand bed out really good with about a 60 gal water change, not removing just cleaning, and potentially peroxide my rocks where there’s sea lettuce, then cement rocks together to make a new taller structure, put acros back. It’s going to be a nightmare and I’m not lookin forward to it at all, but it needs to be done.
No idea what it came in on, I had a little bit on one of my return lines at the surface of the water, after my power outage I noticed that patch was gone, a few days later my tank is covered in the stuff. This power outage really messed stuff up, long term issues I’m still having daily.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wanted to do that too. I am traveling all next week and you have to take delivery then so I will wait for the next one. I am def starting to love these acros and the sps May be the way I go predominantly. I love @fabathuon (sp) tank. Getting the scape in my head.

Btw I won a acrylic frag rack from 805reefer on IG. Haven’t received it yet. I’ll let ya know how it works. And if you don’t have one by that time and I am. It using it right away you are welcome to borrow.
Acros are the best, and you seem like you like a good challenge, they aren’t for the faint of heart, but it’s beyond rewarding when they do actually grow and color up. I love all coral but I get much more joy and sense of accomplishment when my acros are doing good.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are the best, and you seem like you like a good challenge, they aren’t for the faint of heart, but it’s beyond rewarding when they do actually grow and color up. I love all coral but I get much more joy and sense of accomplishment when my acros are doing good.

Maybe we both get the same size frag and turn it into a competition...an entrepreneurial wager :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back