OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could. There are things you can do to quiet it. I secured some filter floss just under the inside of my overflow to reduce the flow noise. Over time it will develop a build up that will quiet things down, also.

Just thinking about it, and I missed the obvious. You could increase the amount that trickles into the emergency drain instead of lowering it. This would be the easy answer. Set your MP40 to max flow, adjust your valve, and when your MP40 slows down it should increase the flow through the emergency drain without dropping level.
Yeah I know I could increase the flow going down the emergency but the problem with that is then it makes the loud gurgle. I just tried lowering the emergency and still nothing doesn't the same thing. It's really starting to get to me! It has to be the cornerflow design doesn't it? Whenever the vortech is off it stays adjusted fine but then when I turn it on bam suddenly the herbie won't keep up.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know I could increase the flow going down the emergency but the problem with that is then it makes the loud gurgle. I just tried lowering the emergency and still nothing doesn't the same thing. It's really starting to get to me! It has to be the cornerflow design doesn't it? Whenever the vortech is off it stays adjusted fine but then when I turn it on bam suddenly the herbie won't keep up.
You said that you have a different return pump you can use, right?
Any thoughts to see if the same thing happens using the AC pump?

Can you visibly see the water level rise or lower at the overflow when you start the MP40?

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said that you have a different return pump you can use, right?
Any thoughts to see if the same thing happens using the AC pump?

Can you visibly see the water level rise or lower at the overflow when you start the MP40?
Yes I will try my mag 9.5 quick and let you know. But I don't think that is the problem. I can see the water level in the overflow go up and down once the vortech is turned on. When I have my vortech off I'm able to set the herbie exactly how it should be with a trickle and it does not go up and down.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree...not likely the return pump. Have you moved the Vortech to the back wall of the aquarium, to avoid pushing water directly toward the overflow? Suspect you would still get good flow from it throughout the tank and be able to use its programs.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree...not likely the return pump. Have you moved the Vortech to the back wall of the aquarium, to avoid pushing water directly toward the overflow? Suspect you would still get good flow from it throughout the tank and be able to use its programs.
I'll try that next and let you know

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also maybe try a different style drain. Not sure tho.
It is crazy that you can't make this work. Can you take a picture of the MP40 in relation to the overflow?

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know!! So crazy! Iv had 3 herbie before with the vortechs but this is my first corner flow tank so I'm thinking that might be the problem?? But I feel like other people would have the same problem. Here's my setup pics. For now I changed the herbie to a durso and it stays quiet. Now I just gotta figure out how to quiet all the bubbles rushing down to the sump.

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your corner overflow also has an uptake at or near the bottom? That could explain the sensitivity to a power head.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your corner overflow also has an uptake at or near the bottom? That could explain the sensitivity to a power head.
It doesn't. The height is adjustable. It's a solid piece of plastic behind it. I have a similar tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know!! So crazy! Iv had 3 herbie before with the vortechs but this is my first corner flow tank so I'm thinking that might be the problem?? But I feel like other people would have the same problem. Here's my setup pics. For now I changed the herbie to a durso and it stays quiet. Now I just gotta figure out how to quiet all the bubbles rushing down to the sump.

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG
You are going to laugh. Look familiar?
Corner.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help but notice that you use what looks like the Durso drain that comes with the tank. Did you modify the standpipe on it to work like a Herbie?

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help but notice that you use what looks like the Durso drain that comes with the tank. Did you modify the standpipe on it to work like a Herbie?
I just put this on to work as a durso for now so I can run the vortech. But it makes so many air bubbles! How do you have yours setup?!

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks so familiar lol.... how do you have yours plumbed?! Is it quiet?? Cause I won't mind changing mine as long as it's quiet

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put this on to work as a durso for now so I can run the vortech. But it makes so many air bubbles! How do you have yours setup?!
I have mine set up as a durso. I had to let the tank "age" for a few weeks before it really got quiet but it isn't bad. Not as quiet as a Herbie can get though. It's funny because the tank sounds like a toilet flushing every time a snail takes a ride to the sump.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set up as a durso. I had to let the tank "age" for a few weeks before it really got quiet but it isn't bad. Not as quiet as a Herbie can get though. It's funny because the tank sounds like a toilet flushing every time a snail takes a ride to the sump.
Haha gotcha well then maybe I'll just leave it like this and see what happens lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha gotcha well then maybe I'll just leave it like this and see what happens lol
I think what is confusing me more than anything is that I don't get any surge from my MP40 running. It doesn't impact water level at the overflow in the least.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thought...you mentioned before you have two corner overflows. Why not set up a Bean-Animal drain? Put the full syphon and open channel (Durso) in one corner and the emergency drain in the other. In this case the emergency drain would have no water trickling down under normal conditions. The open channel would have greater margin for fluctuating water in the overflow and would stay quiet provided the vast majority of water drained thru the full syphon.

Alternatively, if you are not able to install an emergency drain you could just accept some additional risk and just go with the full syphon and open channel (Durso) in the one corner drain. Install a float switch to shut the return pump off if the overflow water level got too high to prevent a flood.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thought...you mentioned before you have two corner overflows. Why not set up a Bean-Animal drain? Put the full syphon and open channel (Durso) in one corner and the emergency drain in the other. In this case the emergency drain would have no water trickling down under normal conditions. The open channel would have greater margin for fluctuating water in the overflow and would stay quiet provided the vast majority of water drained thru the full syphon.

Alternatively, if you are not able to install an emergency drain you could just accept some additional risk and just go with the full syphon and open channel (Durso) in the one corner drain. Install a float switch to shut the return pump off if the overflow water level got too high to prevent a flood.
Another thought would be to make it so that both emergency drains always had some trickle flow so that when it did start surging level higher only half the flow would go between each emergency drain to reduce noise.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of the open channel is that it can quickly go full syphon if need be if the vent hole is just slightly above the desired normal overflow water level. Either drill a hole in the side of the elbow or run a air tube over so it's opening is slightly above the water level. With a small amount of water flow the open channel will be much quieter than an emergency drain. Ideally, you want the emergency drain to be noisy to alert you to a problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back