Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

dave decarli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
Well after getting a lot of questions about the use of fenbendazol I figured I would write this up.
This is for informational purposes and I will not be held liable for improper use.
Fenbendazol must be used exactly as I instruct or run the risk of a tank crash.
Now lets get to it!

So you may ask, what is fenbendazol.
Well it is a primary granular ingredient in Safegaurd 4.
Here is a reference picture

I use the 4 gram packets.
Now don't go out and buy it just to dump the packet in the water, that would be bad!
When you open the packet you will notice the granules. This is what I separate from the powder. That is the fenbendazol.
Now this is directed towards hydroids only in this post!
Once separated you have to crush it into a fine powder. Please wear your safety glasses :)

Ok now you have this powder, what needs to be done next?
ALL snails, GSP's, zenias, Gorgonias, flower pots need to be put into QT. You need to observe them for any traveling hydroids for several days.
This will not harm most all other corals. I have not tested with every coral or invert out there. Wish I could!
Next remove your carbon, slow your skimmer way down or better yet cut the air off.
You need ALL equipment, pumps, powerheads, reactors, chillers RUNNING.
Mix up the powder in 3 cups of tank water and pour it in a high flow area slowly. The goal is to keep is suspended in the water as long as possible .
Wait 24 to 30 hours, you will see them all retracted. No more than 30 hours :)
Add fresh new carbon, don't be skimpy on this as the carbon will help pull these dead guys bad stuff out of the water. Get that skimmer fired back up.
Do a 25% water change after the 24-30 hours.
Do 10% water changes for the next 3 days after the initial 25% change.

This is the process that works the best :)
Hope I answered a lot of questions

-Todd
thanks but that wont work on my system. these things are in my zoas on the glass in with my hammer coral(does not bother them) im telling you they are everywhere. they don't discriminate they whip around killing anything and everything they touch. so you see my problem , this is why a lynx nudibranch is so important. im told they can be found of the fla and cali coast I cant believe how hard they are to find. I would gladly pay 75.00 for one. anybody helps ill pay a finders fee. thanks for the help

dave decarli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Todd, I am looking forward to working with you and eradicating my tank of Hydroids.
I want to know what type of hydroids you have. there are several ones the ones I have are digita they look like little hairs with lint on them and they are single but ALLOVER!!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used Fenbendazol for treatment of medusa hydroids all the times. They were common in tanks where you would use BBS such as breeding seahorses and for everyday feedings of dwarf seahorses. It works for that variety.

coralseas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used Fenbendazol for treatment of medusa hydroids all the times. They were common in tanks where you would use BBS such as breeding seahorses and for everyday feedings of dwarf seahorses. It works for that variety.
Shrimp and sps safe?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not test SPS. I'll go check for more specifics, as it was some time ago. They've probably found out more about it since then. There was also someone selling a product for hydroids. They said it was NOT Fenbendazol. Sent it to a lab and guess what it was..... Fenbendazol.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fenbendazole is safe for shrimp and sps.
Also zoanthids are safe too.
From member tanks there may be issues with starfish. (Have not concluded this)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I remember being concerned over was that once it was used in your tank, it leached for some time. Like copper does.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone was trying a year later and still had trouble with introductions.
This will be correct if overdosed and not enough flow to keep it suspended
I have the dosing down to where there is only a 3 month window of no introduction

coralseas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the great info! I ordered some. But I'm going to try to combat them with kalkwasser paste and boiling water syringe to try to get them. They are only in two places about 3 inches on one and a inch on the other. I think I got most of them yesterday with the kalk paste.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the great info! I ordered some. But I'm going to try to combat them with kalkwasser paste and boiling water syringe to try to get them. They are only in two places about 3 inches on one and a inch on the other. I think I got most of them yesterday with the kalk paste.
You should be able to get them in those small numbers also remember don't stop your methods until you know for sure you got them all.
Happy battling!

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not test SPS. I'll go check for more specifics, as it was some time ago. They've probably found out more about it since then. There was also someone selling a product for hydroids. They said it was NOT Fenbendazol. Sent it to a lab and guess what it was..... Fenbendazol.

Is Hydroxs the product you're referring to? I litterally just placed an order for over $300 worth. I would be very disappointed to find that I could've spent far less just buying Fenbendazol. I have some peace of mind knowing the dosing is correct with Hydroxs, but man I can't help feeling a little ripped off. Where was this thread a week ago! Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back