Heteractis Magnifica ShowOff!

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for this awesome thread. I am considering one in the (very distant) future.

How big do they get in aquarium conditions? I know their theoretical max size is like a meter. But it seems that many people's are not getting that big.

Is there a good overview, consistent with current best keeping practices, somewhere on what you need to do to keep them?

Thanks!

Paratore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of my Magnifica, in addition to the Gigantea, of course.
gigantea2018051702-jpg.747133

The anemone compatibility chart available online says these two species should not get along. What has your experience with them been? I mean look, they are basically touching and both look very happy!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. My current mag is rather unremarkable, but it stays put and has been maintenance free for a couple of years. My prior magenta base mag was a major pain as it was always walking around the tank. Eventually it floated it's way into my vortech.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. My current mag is rather unremarkable, but it stays put and has been maintenance free for a couple of years. My prior magenta base mag was a major pain as it was always walking around the tank. Eventually it floated it's way into my vortech.

Exaaaact same story with mine. So bummed too, I loved my Mag. I am now holding off until I can build a larger system more well adapted to housing a big mag.

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a mag! Granted, it's probably not the red-footed one I hoped for. It's bleached, so I'm not sure what color the foot is at this point. But my ocellaris clowns love it. I designed my aquascape around the eventual placement of a mag in the center, and I'm super happy with the outcome. Of course, my tank is only 2 1/2 months old, so the rest of the corals have not grown much.

IMG_0476.jpg

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exaaaact same story with mine. So bummed too, I loved my Mag. I am now holding off until I can build a larger system more well adapted to housing a big mag.

I prevent this fate by keeping my gyre in a cage in my anemone dedicated tank. I’m hoping this will keep them safe long term!
f1d73499ef055cd76727427e8a00ec59.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back