0   0   0
MagnificaYellowTipped2014110701.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have the one ..... A few more pics ....

IMG_1004_zps8453f575.jpg

IMG_1002_zpsd767a5df.jpg

IMG_1009_zps938e75db.jpg

Appears more reddish under flash (as above); more magenta otherwise.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did both sides live? Have you fragged one of the sides since then?

No..I lost one early on, and during my upgrade, I lost the other one. I find it very difficult to keep them alive. They usually do fairly well at first, but end up with infection and need to be treated. This is where the fight begins. Either one or both will get to a point where they quit responding to antibiotics and eventually die. I think it's possible to frag them, but you better be ready to treat and be dedicated to extreme care while you have frags. They require care like a new born baby. I've fragged another one since then and again lost one half. I tend to get sloppy or worn out when I'm treating for months. All it takes is one mistake and the frag will die. In this case, it was 90 degree water temps that he never really recovered from (heater). However, I currently have the other half that's lasted since 5/27/14. He's lost all his tents, but I've been able to keep him alive- even through my recent upgrade. He'll start to grow tents and his yellow tips back, and something will happen that stresses him out and he'll drop them or just stop growing. I wouldn't recommend anybody fragging a Magnifica. You need a very stable system and shouldn't introduce any new anemones that could potentially infect the propagation. I've kept and treated a lot of Magnifica, and I'm set up very well. Believe me, It's difficult and chances are not in your favor. I'll post a video of the frag I currently have. You'll see that he looks to be in very poor health. In the video, he's being fed and doing his last day of treatment with an S. Gigantea I recently picked up. Both were returned back to the display that day and are doing very well.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Reviving Expert Anemones - YouTube

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting mags in half is not for the faint of heart. I only did it once, then in a separate tank with a really big UV, and was able to heal both halves. But it was touch and go.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was bought at a reef show, and was in medium health, got her home and all she wanted to do was inflate and get thrown around the tank, and it is an SPS reef with a ton of current, so that didn't go well.

Nem ended up in a WP40 and pretty cut up, moved her into a isolation basket right under an 8 bulb ATI full of Blue + and a fiji purple and coral +. She slowly got her foot sticky, and I would put rods reef and smaller mysis right onto her, and eventually she started to eat. Slowly but surely the tentacles got stickier and the foot stuck to the isolation basket.

Then I caught my clowns and put them in, they have never hosted an anemone, and it took them a while, but they figured it out. More feeding, more waiting.

Finally, I figured it was ready, it was eating, stickier, and a month had gone by. It was all healed from the powerhead incident. So I peeled it VERY carefully from the basket (ice cube trick worked well) and popped it on the rock I wanted it on. She snuck into it pretty far with her foot, tried out two different sides, and settled in.

Now it has been about 6 months and the nem is doing super. It eats about 1 silverside a week, loves the light (but lives in partial shadow), loves the flow, and loves its clownfish.

It also loves anthias and gobies, so far I am down one of each...

Definitely one of my favorite creatures. I look forward to a long time with this nem. Hopefully the clowns start to spawn. Most of my large SPS colonies are at the front of the tank, I left the back largely bare so I could relocate frags as the nem grew or moved. So far so good!

IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6986.JPG

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting mags in half is not for the faint of heart. I only did it once, then in a separate tank with a really big UV, and was able to heal both halves. But it was touch and go.

I think using a UV is a big help. I'd like to try a Aqua one day.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what happened to one of the red base frags.

Here's the second propagation on day four. As you can see from the pic, they do well for a little while and then end up wih infection.

A few more mags.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back