Hey everyone!!!

force_of_echo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team!
Hope you’re all having an amazing night/day!

So about 8 years or so ago I sold my marine tank as 1) I didn’t have enough space to keep it! 2) didn’t have enough money to maintain it! 3) it just wasn’t right!

so anyway fast forward 8 years I’m now 32 bought a house had a baby got married have an incredible job so I wanted to start again! BUT I didn’t want to go crazy! Previously I preferred long tanks but shorted in height!

but after seeing a few tanks in the shop I decided to go taller tank but shorted in length!

so I picked up a trigon it fits amazing in the corner!

and now it all begins!! Filled it up with water! Added the sand, got a new filter and a heater etc took the top parts of the tank and the old T8s that come with it.

I fitted a brand new LED 100w system and added 5kg of salt and by tomorrow I’ll have the levels perfect!

here’s the question this is my FIRST time starting a tank with a prawn in it! Literally was talking to the shop keeper and I was asking him the best way to start the tank up as ussually I would get the salt levels right and throw in 5kg live rock and leave it for 4 weeks etc!

then he told me the prawn method and I thought he was joking anyway prawn went in chopped it in 3 parts and left it! It’s been now 3 days and ammonia has risen a TINY bit!

has anyone heard of the prawn method? And any information you can give me? How long to leave it there? Etc

tank will be MOSTLY fish only with the odd soft corals with my favourite being the leather coral!
The light is above the water by 10inches and the tanks depth from what I remember is like 21inches but where the water sits it’s 18inches!

Any pointers? I’ve been out of the game a little while lol!

thank you all!

D0EB9381-2175-4DC1-A9DE-0E76602A261A.jpeg 1E78F41A-4B1C-4F87-9136-14D6FE69FC35.jpeg 2061EDAA-6987-48A5-A584-1CB00AC51A75.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Although many have moved on to chemical cycling like Dr. Tim's products, shrimp/prawn is a viable method that has been used for quite some time.

OP
OP
force_of_echo

force_of_echo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Although many have moved on to chemical cycling like Dr. Tim's products, shrimp/prawn is a viable method that has been used for quite some time.
Hey thanks for replying!

I know there is a product that my friend told me I can’t remember the name apparently you put the bottle in and you can add fish the same day!

but I prefer to do it the natural way as much as possible!

besides that for me it’s the journey not the destination so if it takes 2 years to complete I’ll be happy! Although I know for certain I’ll be moving things around on a monthly basis

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team!

So about 8 years or so ago I sold my marine tank as 1) I didn’t have enough space to keep it! 2) didn’t have enough money to maintain it! 3) it just wasn’t right!

so anyway fast forward 8 years I’m now 32 bought a house had a baby got married have an incredible job so I wanted to start again! BUT I didn’t want to go crazy! Previously I preferred long tanks but shorted in height!

but after seeing a few tanks in the shop I decided to go taller tank but shorted in length!

and now it all begins!! Filled it up with water! Added the sand, got a new filter and a heater etc took the top parts of the tank and the old T8s that come with it.

I fitted a brand new LED 100w system and added 5kg of salt and by tomorrow I’ll have the levels perfect!

here’s the question this is my FIRST time starting a tank with a prawn in it! Literally was talking to the shop keeper and I was asking him the best way to start the tank up as ussually I would get the salt levels right and throw in 5kg live rock and leave it for 4 weeks etc!

then he told me the prawn method and I thought he was joking anyway prawn went in chopped it in 3 parts and left it! It’s been now 3 days and ammonia has risen a TINY bit!

has anyone heard of the prawn method? And any information you can give me? How long to leave it there? Etc

tank will be MOSTLY fish only with the odd soft corals with my favourite being the leather coral!
The light is above the water by 10inches and the tanks depth from what I remember is like 21inches but where the water sits it’s 18inches!

thank you all!

D0EB9381-2175-4DC1-A9DE-0E76602A261A.jpeg 1E78F41A-4B1C-4F87-9136-14D6FE69FC35.jpeg 2061EDAA-6987-48A5-A584-1CB00AC51A75.jpeg
Welcome and Welcome Back!

The prawn/shrimp method was old 25 years ago, so it is a time tested method. It's all about starting the ammonia>nitrite>nitrate cycle... pee added to tank is another old school method but not talked about as much (in polite circles <giggle>)... and these days people are more likely to want faster results and kick start cycle by adding those natural beneficial items - Fritz, Dr Tims, there are options for these too.

Keep us posted on your progress! Glad you joined

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team!

thank you all!

Welcome force.
Live rock is best.
Sound like old school shrimp method

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back