OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my sps are still in a tailspin and I haven’t had any all swings or anything other than switching to 2 part on a doser a few weeks ago. 80% are stn and some are already gone. My nitrates and phosphates were pretty high so I have cut back on feedi

Since stability is so important, I am going to do a 30% water change, cut up my marine pure block so I can arrange my sump more to my liking, removed my algae scrubber and convert a sump chamber to a chaeto fuge.
After all that, I’m just going to ride it out and take it as a positive to be able to free up space to get more corals once/if the crash stops.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to log what I have done to try and correct: I did 2 twenty gallon water changes, cleaned and inspected my return and skimmer, cut up my marine pure block and cleaned it, cleaned out sump, ordered a new sump so I can have a fuge, removed my algae scrubber (in anticipation of new sump), replaced heater. Will test nitrates and phosphates probably tonight.

As it stands, many acros are stn from both the tips and the base and montis are goners. Alk, cal and mg never fluctuated since switching to 2 part a few weeks ago.
I figure it can’t get any worse with my sps.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about forgot how to post pictures.

Got my new sump put in and i hard plumbed my return. The before and after aren’t too dramatic but my old sump required my skimmer in the middle so i had no room to try a refugium. This new one has a better design (trigger) and allows me to configure everything more to my liking. I am going to buy some macro algae this weekend and get that fuge going.
Old sump had weird glass inserts along the bottom of the skimmer chamber that were big time detritus traps too.

ur9W3MH.jpg

Old sump drain side.
8MHrt5g.jpg

Old sump return and ato side.
5ko1ZrG.jpg

New sump drain side. I have my sump in backwards because I would have had to replumb my overflow to fit the fitting on the sump or move my overflow to the other side which would shade out a bunch of already struggling corals so I put it in this way.
ZoXqne5.jpg

Return side with view of future fuge.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in September when the crash wasn’t really happening. All it showed was low iodine and strontium. Maybe that’s the cause but all the RHF articles I could find didn’t seem to indicate that would be a huge concern but maybe I misread.
To me that doesn’t look that bad but you never know.

Did you do an ICP test?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I tried to talk the wife into a t5 fixture over Xmas but she wasn’t having it lol. I keep messing things up on my own anyway, don’t think new lights will help much ha.

I hear you. I’m going to refresh mine in a couple months with all new diodes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back