HHH's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst part is they release and float and get caught in acro colonies where they expand and nuke.
Oh, don't I know! There is a low flow eddy right near my dragon soul favia...they always land there and sting him. :(

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I didn't see any green birdsnsest in your tank. I've got some terrific frags, if you want one. I could also frag you a piece of BoP birdsnest or this other purple, branching coral that I have if you're interested.
I have some green near my mini maxi that survived what killed the others. I might be down for some bop. Will let you know after this box comes from Adam as space is limited.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some green near my mini maxi that survived what killed the others. I might be down for some bop. Will let you know after this box comes from Adam as space is limited.
Totally understand. Keep me posted! I have a small BoP frag growing...and I mean small, maybe 1/2".

I'm sure my fat hippo tang will frag another, larger piece for me in the near future!

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my BB and almost all my fish in one pic!

TDVuRfU.jpg

Xgby4RA.jpg
n7JvXia.jpg

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think an acro will survive a echinata assault? Have had mine for years and in the last 2 days it nuked a chalice and now an acro right by it. The acro hasn’t shown signs yet but was super slimy when I pulled them apart.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think an acro will survive a echinata assault? Have had mine for years and in the last 2 days it nuked a chalice and now an acro right by it. The acro hasn’t shown signs yet but was super slimy when I pulled them apart.
Depends on the acro. I've had my Dragon soul favia nuked by a ricordea at least three times. It has pulled through (not without damage). I know they're not the same, but if they acro is healthy I think it will pull through .

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the acro. I've had my Dragon soul favia nuked by a ricordea at least three times. It has pulled through (not without damage). I know they're not the same, but if they acro is healthy I think it will pull through .
It’s toast. Had the whole filaments expelled from the lps and wrapped around the acro thing going on. It was a frag so it’s not the end of the world but still.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s toast. Had the whole filaments expelled from the lps and wrapped around the acro thing going on. It was a frag so it’s not the end of the world but still.
Ugh . That sucks. I've really started to hate hollywood stunners and ricordeas. :/

Terrorists, I tell you!

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, this is what that frag you gave me has grown into:

IMG_20190217_210059.jpg
Nice! I just saw this!

Here is the stick you gave me lol. I’ve scorched the tips and had to cut it back twice but it’s pretty hardy and lives through my flubs.
kKaAo59.jpg

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I just saw this!

Here is the stick you gave me lol. I’ve scorched the tips and had to cut it back twice but it’s pretty hardy and lives through my flubs.
kKaAo59.jpg
That's one thing I have to say about that variety of acropora...it is very hardy!

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I just saw this!

kKaAo59.jpg
I think we should name it the Timex acropora. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ;)

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me. It’s actually pretty when it’s happy
I wouldn't know. It never seems all that happy in my tank! LOL

I think your dripping of kalkwasser is probably why it does so well in your tank. The constant alkalinity/pH is something that my tank doesn't see...both swing with water top offs since I add calcium hydroxide to the ATO water. I've been racking my brain to determine how I might do a kalk drip, but I have to add 3-4 quarts of topoff water per day so dripping isn't really all that practical :/

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know. It never seems all that happy in my tank! LOL

I think your dripping of kalkwasser is probably why it does so well in your tank. The constant alkalinity/pH is something that my tank doesn't see...both swing with water top offs since I add calcium hydroxide to the ATO water. I've been racking my brain to determine how I might do a kalk drip, but I have to add 3-4 quarts of topoff water per day so dripping isn't really all that practical :/
I switched to two part and caused all kinds of problems. I didn’t figure out the conversion correctly and spiked my alk real bad and then had a bunch of peaks and valleys. It’s been steady for a while now though and most everything seems happy. I do think kalk is very beneficial though. When my tank was best, I was dripping kalk. I had to get a setup that was more automated though because of life so now I run dosers and ATO.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to two part and caused all kinds of problems. I didn’t figure out the conversion correctly and spiked my alk real bad and then had a bunch of peaks and valleys. It’s been steady for a while now though and most everything seems happy. I do think kalk is very beneficial though. When my tank was best, I was dripping kalk. I had to get a setup that was more automated though because of life so now I run dosers and ATO.
This is my situation as well. I had to automate the system, so adding kalk to the ATO water was the easiest way for me. The downside is that the calcium and alkalinity move around when the ATO cycles.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back