Hi Everyone

Gotoboy06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forums and have had a saltwater tank since May. Bought an established tank with fish already in it. Learning as I go along. Got a skimmer as the lady didn't have a skimmer. So far so good. Did notice a clown with one tiny little white spot today. Worried about that.

IMG_20171101_164649.jpg

IMG_20171101_164649.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really tell, but if you have any of your rock against or close to the glass, you might want to move it a little. Makes for cleaning the glass a WHOLE lot easier ;)

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R; congrats on the tank!

if you have any of your rock against or close to the glass, you might want to move it a little. Makes for cleaning the glass a WHOLE lot easier ;)
Agreed - making maintenance easier means it's more likely that said maintenance will actually be done.

What's your plan for the tank? What do you already have in it and what do you hope to have?

If you can get a clear-ish pic of the white spot on the clown, we can likely help you determine if there's anything to worry about or not. It may just be a spec of sand stuck to the fish's skin (nothing to worry about), or it may be something you need to take action on - can't say without more info (and ideally a pic).

Also - cute dog! Shibu?

OP
OP
Gotoboy06

Gotoboy06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R; congrats on the tank!

Agreed - making maintenance easier means it's more likely that said maintenance will actually be done.

What's your plan for the tank? What do you already have in it and what do you hope to have?

If you can get a clear-ish pic of the white spot on the clown, we can likely help you determine if there's anything to worry about or not. It may just be a spec of sand stuck to the fish's skin (nothing to worry about), or it may be something you need to take action on - can't say without more info (and ideally a pic).

Also - cute dog! Shibu?

No sure on a plan. LOL. Yup a Shiba.

Inside already is---
2 feather dusters
2 bengal cardinals
2 Pajama Cardinals
2 Clowns
3 chromis
2 shrimp
snail
hermits
Yellow Watchman hiding somewhere
flame angelfish
gramma
yellow tang
Australian Duncanopsammia

None of the rock touches any glass as I read there needs to be good air flow all around. Planning on corals next but wanna learn more before I add them. It's a 55 gallon that came with a hang on filter. Will be getting a canister filter with UV in the next month or so. Will try getting a pic of the clown but suck at taking pics of the fish.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

Cant really see the clownfish
+1

Patients is the key to reefing, give it some time.

Head over here link and do some reading, also post a question with a clear picture of the clown I we can get you some answers:)

OP
OP
Gotoboy06

Gotoboy06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
I agree with the others about the rock unless you can get good flow back there
Cant really see the clownfish
Try and get a better photo

There is air flow around the rocks. Two power heads, the air flow things, one going around the back, other around the front. Will try to take a better pic of the clown.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup a Shiba.
Yeah; that's what I meant. ;-) We've got a Shiba that we adopted; her name came to us as "Shibu" and she responded to it, so it stayed... :-|

Will be getting a canister filter with UV in the next month or so.
Have you considered a sump instead of a canister? If you're looking for a full reef, it will really make a difference.

Will try getting a pic of the clown but suck at taking pics of the fish.
Oh, trust me - we've all been there. Getting a picture of a tiny, skittish, water creature through glass is never easy... ;-)

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sure on a plan. LOL. Yup a Shiba.

Inside already is---
2 feather dusters
2 bengal cardinals
2 Pajama Cardinals
2 Clowns
3 chromis
2 shrimp
snail
hermits
Yellow Watchman hiding somewhere
flame angelfish
gramma
yellow tang
Australian Duncanopsammia

None of the rock touches any glass as I read there needs to be good air flow all around. Planning on corals next but wanna learn more before I add them. It's a 55 gallon that came with a hang on filter. Will be getting a canister filter with UV in the next month or so. Will try getting a pic of the clown but suck at taking pics of the fish.

Im not sure what you meant by air flow
But i was saying flow as in you need water movement a powerhead or wave maker pointed behind the rocks to avoid having stagnant water and “dirt” buildup

OP
OP
Gotoboy06

Gotoboy06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah; that's what I meant. ;-) We've got a Shiba that we adopted; her name came to us as "Shibu" and she responded to it, so it stayed... :-|

Have you considered a sump instead of a canister? If you're looking for a full reef, it will really make a difference.

Oh, trust me - we've all been there. Getting a picture of a tiny, skittish, water creature through glass is never easy... ;-)

What is the price difference between sump and canister? And how much harder is a sump?

As for pic, errrrrrrrrrrr!!! LOL. I did get a vid and you can see the spot very quick. But not sure if is good to judge on if it's ick or not. Hoping the other half can get a better pic. Turned the lights back off cause heard that will help with the stress if it is ick.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back