OP
R

ReeferRhett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Interesting concept; splitting a tank so one side is fresh and the other salt. Tell us how that came about; I'd like to know!

Dom
Well, it kinda came out of Necessity. At the time of setting up my biocube I set up a 2 gallon tank, that I was going to try to make into a sump. After my tanks where cycled I bought a harlequin shrimp and a goby shrimp pair. (I was told that this would work, and I didn’t know that pistol shrimp could be so aggressive) immediately the pistol shrimp started attacking the harlequin, and so I had to separate them. I put the harlequin in the two gallon for the time being. Flash forward about a month and someone brought in a poor bb puffer (also called a dwarf puffer) who was heavily malnourished. I took him home and put him in a qt tank and watched him, and made sure he was eating. I happened to have a spare ten gallon tank and I had two critters who needed bigger homes. I put the divider in the tank and set up each side as it’s own tank. The freshwater side took about two weeks to set up but the saltwater side took about a month and a half. It’s definitely really interesting to see the different biomes so close together. It does have some interesting problems though. Sometimes plants will grow over to the saltwater side and the salt splash will get on them and they will start loosing leaves, which fall into the saltwater side and cause a bit of a phosphate problem. It’s not perfect, but someone more experienced could probably do a really good looking tank with this idea.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and they will start loosing leaves, which fall into the saltwater side and cause a bit of a phosphate problem. It’s not perfect, but someone more experienced could probably do a really good looking tank with this idea.

Interesting story. It sounds like the fix is to have a divider that extends up past the top of the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back