Welcome to the Reef
Photo_1660072876483.jpg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'd just leave the hermits alone to settle in. Sometimes they are running around and climbing on everything then they just stop somewhere and chill. It even could be preparing for a molt. As others have said they can be goofy, a good description if I ever heard one for hermits. About the only time they will actually fight is over a shell. If you have extra shells about they should coexist just fine.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older person alert here! Older person not used to or good at stuff like this and posting pictures a bit too difficult for me! I might get to that later. Apols.
:face-with-tears-of-joy:

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am new to saltwater. Whereas I'd love a big reef tank I am in my sixties and dont really want to be carrying huge amounts of water about. So I'm starting with a 37 litre nano tank. Not the best choice for a beginner but maybe a better choice for an oldie, so I'm going slowly and learning as I go and I've been reading on here for a while, to learn from the threads on here.

I've got a layer of caribsea live sand on the bottom and a rock structure I made from dry rock and a supply of salt water and ro water from my lfs. I've bought a red sea refractometer and an api saltwater test kit. I've put some Colony in and some little pinches of fish food and also some copepods that I read were a good thing to have at the start and I've tried to create a mini refugium type affair by having a small plastic fry hatchery in there and keeping some macroalgae - I think its called caulerpa - in it, so the copepods have somewhere to go when I get a fish, maybe. I have a freshwater style filter going and also an airstone, turned up quite a lot, so a fair bit of movement. Its not pretty but hopefully is going to work.

I got ammonia and nitrate to 0 according to the test kit and nitrate to almost zero - never higher than 5.0ppm - and the salinity steady. All seemed to be going well after about 4 weeks with testing, so I bought my first livestock. The first thing that made me want a salt tank was I saw some blue leg hermit crabs in the lfs when I was shopping for my freshwater tanks. I know they are fairly lowly in this hobby but I really liked them, not as a cleanup crew but for themselves. So when it came to putting some live creatures in this tank they were No 1 on my list.

I ordered just one electric blue, online, because I had read about them - its only a small tank and they could be a bit fighty was what I'd read which I really dont want to see. But the shop I ordered them from rang me up - they thought there must be some mistake because it was a lot of shipping cost for a small purchase. I had a chat with them and told them the above and they told me no, they were pretty peaceful really and more than one would be fine in that small tank and they would appreciate more of their kind. So I bought another one - two altogether - and a couple of spare shells for them.

They arrived and I acclimated them and everything seemed great. One was more active than the other but both were out and about, eating one or two Hikari Marin S and also Seaweed extreme pellets I put in for them but mostly interested in the algae on the rocks and sand.

They arrived on Friday. All was good. But today, Monday, I think I've got trouble. One of them - the less active one - spent all day yesterday in one place and this morning I got worried about it because it looked like it might just have found itself a good secure place to rest in a rock crevice and sleep OR it might be stuck in there, - so I moved it. It seemed fine and started moving around but looked a bit sort of deferring and defensive towards the other one. I haven't seen the other one touch it but they spent a good bit of time staring at each other, before both going their own ways.

But in the last 3 hours I've found the one I moved out of the crevice on its back with legs in the air, twice. I missed how it got like that both times - I watch for ages then the minute I go away to make a cup of tea or something when I come back, there it is, upside down. Both times I've turned it back over and it walked away. The other one is not actively attacking it, though. I've not seen it attack it or even wave a claw at it. But who knows what happens at night, is what I'm thinking.

When they sleep, they sleep next to each other, together. Whether this is the choice of both of them, or just one of them though, who knows?

The upside downer is now resting on a shelf in the rocks, looking a bit dithery and uncertain and the other one is stamping around the tank in a new shell it has chosen, happy as larry, sampling everything it comes across. It doesn't seem to be especially going after the other one.

I know there will be a lot of experience about these creatures on here. I'm sorry to mix an introduction and a question - apologies if that is bad manners. Have I done a stupid thing, getting two of them, or any other stupid things for that matter? Should I have just left the one that was probably sleeping alone and its just disorientated because I disturbed it? Do I need to separate them before something bad happens? Is there a way of instantly safely cycling a new tank for one of them if I need to split them up?

Thanks to anyone whe takes the trouble to read this.
Welcome to our group/family! there's a lot people here to help! :)

OP
OP
H

heathermoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'd just leave the hermits alone to settle in. Sometimes they are running around and climbing on everything then they just stop somewhere and chill. It even could be preparing for a molt. As others have said they can be goofy, a good description if I ever heard one for hermits. About the only time they will actually fight is over a shell. If you have extra shells about they should coexist just fine.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thankyou - thats reassuring!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am new to saltwater. Whereas I'd love a big reef tank I am in my sixties and dont really want to be carrying huge amounts of water about. So I'm starting with a 37 litre nano tank. Not the best choice for a beginner but maybe a better choice for an oldie, so I'm going slowly and learning as I go and I've been reading on here for a while, to learn from the threads on here.

I've got a layer of caribsea live sand on the bottom and a rock structure I made from dry rock and a supply of salt water and ro water from my lfs. I've bought a red sea refractometer and an api saltwater test kit. I've put some Colony in and some little pinches of fish food and also some copepods that I read were a good thing to have at the start and I've tried to create a mini refugium type affair by having a small plastic fry hatchery in there and keeping some macroalgae - I think its called caulerpa - in it, so the copepods have somewhere to go when I get a fish, maybe. I have a freshwater style filter going and also an airstone, turned up quite a lot, so a fair bit of movement. Its not pretty but hopefully is going to work.

I got ammonia and nitrate to 0 according to the test kit and nitrate to almost zero - never higher than 5.0ppm - and the salinity steady. All seemed to be going well after about 4 weeks with testing, so I bought my first livestock. The first thing that made me want a salt tank was I saw some blue leg hermit crabs in the lfs when I was shopping for my freshwater tanks. I know they are fairly lowly in this hobby but I really liked them, not as a cleanup crew but for themselves. So when it came to putting some live creatures in this tank they were No 1 on my list.

I ordered just one electric blue, online, because I had read about them - its only a small tank and they could be a bit fighty was what I'd read which I really dont want to see. But the shop I ordered them from rang me up - they thought there must be some mistake because it was a lot of shipping cost for a small purchase. I had a chat with them and told them the above and they told me no, they were pretty peaceful really and more than one would be fine in that small tank and they would appreciate more of their kind. So I bought another one - two altogether - and a couple of spare shells for them.

They arrived and I acclimated them and everything seemed great. One was more active than the other but both were out and about, eating one or two Hikari Marin S and also Seaweed extreme pellets I put in for them but mostly interested in the algae on the rocks and sand.

They arrived on Friday. All was good. But today, Monday, I think I've got trouble. One of them - the less active one - spent all day yesterday in one place and this morning I got worried about it because it looked like it might just have found itself a good secure place to rest in a rock crevice and sleep OR it might be stuck in there, - so I moved it. It seemed fine and started moving around but looked a bit sort of deferring and defensive towards the other one. I haven't seen the other one touch it but they spent a good bit of time staring at each other, before both going their own ways.

But in the last 3 hours I've found the one I moved out of the crevice on its back with legs in the air, twice. I missed how it got like that both times - I watch for ages then the minute I go away to make a cup of tea or something when I come back, there it is, upside down. Both times I've turned it back over and it walked away. The other one is not actively attacking it, though. I've not seen it attack it or even wave a claw at it. But who knows what happens at night, is what I'm thinking.

When they sleep, they sleep next to each other, together. Whether this is the choice of both of them, or just one of them though, who knows?

The upside downer is now resting on a shelf in the rocks, looking a bit dithery and uncertain and the other one is stamping around the tank in a new shell it has chosen, happy as larry, sampling everything it comes across. It doesn't seem to be especially going after the other one.

I know there will be a lot of experience about these creatures on here. I'm sorry to mix an introduction and a question - apologies if that is bad manners. Have I done a stupid thing, getting two of them, or any other stupid things for that matter? Should I have just left the one that was probably sleeping alone and its just disorientated because I disturbed it? Do I need to separate them before something bad happens? Is there a way of instantly safely cycling a new tank for one of them if I need to split them up?

Thanks to anyone whe takes the trouble to read this.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

Here's my tip for lugging water - don't do it. That is what gravity, pumps, hoses and wheels are for doing. Work smart, not hard. My tank is larger, but I'll give you my examples. For water changes, I drain my water out into tubs (so I can measure - each tub holds 55L but I don't fill all the way (cheap tubs, don't trust them)), and then when those 3 tubs are full, I connect a pump to a little hose that lives along the edge of my house and goes outside to driveway and ally drain - and I pump those bins dry. For making water, it goes into a holding tank. When I need RO/DI to make saltwater, I have trashcan on wheels, I wheel it over and add water. Once the salt has mixed in the trashcan, I wheel it over to the room where tank is and add the fresh saltwater to tank. I'm hoping this 'no lift' method lasts me for a lifetime!

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
H

heathermoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou for that reply - its really interesting to read how people find a way. It shows me what is possible for the future and now I am thinking about one day a proper reef tank - but not too big! I read the article and well - wow. How lucky we are that there are people who are prepared to write things like that and share their knowledge.

I feel a bit shy to do a 'build thread' on the current one - its just a very small tank with 2 crabs in it and not much to see really! Plus, I'm rubbish with phones and computers and posting pictures - it feels at the moment like a bit of a stressful challenge to try to do a build thread, although I know I probably should because I am learning a lot from reading other people's things and should give back. But I got stressed enough about the two crabs, which seem to be getting on well now...they sleep together next to each other on the rock, every time, both out of choice - and I haven't found one upside down since that first day.

Its all small steps for me so I dont get overwhelmed and stay within my capabilities and stay enjoying what I am doing rather than worrying myself. But I do intend to push those limits out and see how far I can safely get. The next step is to get a fish - I think two crabs and one fish is the limit for my small tank, then maybe some corals in it when it is a bit older. I went window shopping and looked at some fish and I really liked something called a Diadem Dottyback. It was tiny and very beautiful. The lfs said it was fairly hardy and easy to care for would stay small and could be best kept on its own as it is a bit aggressive but would be OK with hermit crabs. I think that might be good - I dont want to get one fish that is then missing out on companionship of its own kind that it would enjoy; one that is best on its own seems a good fit. I'm very tempted........

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back