high altitude

danielsreefs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
125
Reaction score
11
Location
wrightwood ca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved from southern California and now live in the high rockies in Colorado im above 9000ft does anyone know if bc there is lower oxygen is there any issues I can run into. Any feedback on this would help
 
That's a good question, I would think if there is enough for humans and plants that your fish will be fine.
 
Oxygen percentage wise is NOT lower at altitude. The only thing that is difference is the total pressure (ie less mole of oxygen per liter even though the percentage of oxygen to other gasses is still around 21%).

So there certainly wont be any pH issues from it. As an altitude diver the biggest concern is the fact that the pressure difference as you come out of the air is greater than when you dive at sea level.

With that said, these are not things you really need to worry about....aquarius are not that deep, and I have seen no issues with my fishs. Temprature stability can be something to consider depending on your house (we keep our house pretty cold and with led lights need pretty big heaters).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new