High Calcium

myersb33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve got a 2 month old 90 gallon tank that I am looking to make a reef tank, I have been stocking slowly with fish and cuc. I recently got around to purchasing alkalinity and calcium test kits and have found that my Alkalinity was at 7.9 last week and Calcium was in the 540s which I know was absurdly high. I just did a 55-60ish% water change today and the levels have changed to alakalinity at 8.0 and Calcium went down to 507.
I have the seachem two part fusion dosing items and was wondering if using the alkalinity rising dose would help as they seem to be cause and effect? My local fish store was not helpful in the explanation as I had a bad employee giving me advice that day and would like to make sure I’m not making any mistakes. All my regular paramaters like ammonia nitrate and nitrites are all as they should be and my Ph is usually between 8.3-8.4
My main point is how can I lower my calcium levels?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, if you just have fish in your tank and a cuc why are you dosing? Fish don't absorb calcium. It will just keep climbing.....and climbing because its not going anywhere.

Also, even when you start to add corals your water changes should handle calcium just fine for a long time. Alk will tend to fall faster and you just need to dose part b to keep that up.

OP
OP
M

myersb33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t been dosing the calcium that’s the concern believe it came from my salt mix? Seeing how you said it isn’t so high it’s an issue and that it will level with water changes would adding coral be safe at the moment?

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did not dose, your calcium comes from your salt mix. This would be higher with increased salinity. So then we are talking about accuracy of salinity and the calcium test. Salinity testing is chronically problematic for difficulties of standard and temperature.

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened to me when I was using Fowler red Sea salt mix the calcium was meant for Fowler tank not for reef tank
I changed my salt to reef salt the calcium reduced I do around 4 water changes till it get the right calcium balance
Before I change my salt mix the calcium was over 500 it
It was all because of my salt mix and even I was dosing calcium
But after I changed my salt I start keeping my calcium aroun 450 with weekly water changes and now my corals are amazing
I even lost some gargonia and etc
Good luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back