john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shane backer is there a icp test company that you preferred to use over others to validate your tests? I had done one awhile back with ati but they did not put up my RODI result and haven’t ever responded to my emails, so if you have a different one that you prefer would you recommend one?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shane, thank you for coming here and dropping valuable methodology info on R2R. You do some things a bit outside of the normal and it’s great for people to see what works. I think the high nutrients and 8 hours of max intensity light will surprise many.

Look forward to this tank progressing! I’m sure your excited to see these corals grow naturally without having to chop them constantly!

Last edited:

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these frags are Drooooooly :)

I'm so temping to save a few of these frags for the new grow out but the tank is just not ready. I ordered a new skimmer and also ordered Ecotech MP40s for flow. Will update once they come in to show how they are installed and why..some of

What's the super bushy red polyped one in the middle?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
@shane backer is there a icp test company that you preferred to use over others to validate your tests? I had done one awhile back with ati but they did not put up my RODI result and haven’t ever responded to my emails, so if you have a different one that you prefer would you recommend one?

I use the Triton ICP.. i have used them all and i just find it easy to use the Triton ICP ones. I don't Love any of them though...

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Shane, do you do regular water changes? And would you recommend supplementing trace elements?

Yes i do 15% water change every week. I think this is very important. and yes i would recommend supplementing trace elements. I would recommend getting a triton test to see what elements may be lacking and then you can dose accordingly

Msanchez_4342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen quite the opposite regarding color and health when they’re high of levels as you suggest. In fact, I see better coloration, health, PE, when levels are low, in my own and many seasoned hobbyists tanks. I’m sure we all agree you need some, but not double digit NO3 or residual levels that high.
Dude, have you not seen his pictures are the beginning of this thread.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah such a hater. Lol bet you can’t grow coral . Move on man.
Nope. Can’t grow anything or color anything up. You’re right. You must be THE acro authority. How do I learn to be like you? Man, I wish I wake up to a tank that is full of stuff like yours and I can make millions of dollars and be a thousandaire like you. You’re my hero!

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah such a hater. Lol bet you can’t grow coral . Move on man.
There really is no need to be like this. @SeaDweller has some of the nicest tanks I've seen, and makes darn good points. Most people are not able to run stick tanks how shane can. EVERY TANK IS DIFFERENT. SD was giving his opinion. There is no need to be confrontational and insulting.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really is no need to be like this. @SeaDweller has some of the nicest tanks I've seen, and makes darn good points. Most people are not able to run stick tanks how shane can. EVERY TANK IS DIFFERENT. SD was giving his opinion. There is no need to be confrontational and insulting.
Haha, thanks. I like all my sticks white. That means they’re pure right? Funny thing is a few days later they become green, and hairy. And the tangs and crabs come by to preen them. Odd, right?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, everyone has their own way of doing things and person X or Y or Z does everything differently. I could care less how Shane or Bubba or Rev or JDA or Chasswood or Camaro Show or Big E or Mr. V or even Jesus himself run their tanks: that’s their system, it works for them!

You want to be the best, then you learn to pick people’s brains and you filter out what may or may not work from their methodology. You align your views with theirs and that’s how you have a successful tank. Learn and learn, trial and error

Now can someone copy Shane’s method? I’d argue NO; Not unless you do everything to the T like he does; he gets the results he gets cuz that’s his system.

If people can’t have mature dialogue, then this site is worthless. Even the post that I made to Shane was answered and left at that- there’s no after thought to it. And then this guy comes up and tries to prove some “point?” Who’s the one that needs to move on? Grow up, “dude”.

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.
ZgPF2HJ4.jpeg

jI6qLVjU.jpeg

ES5tR27w.jpeg

pB_5euFo.jpeg

teMefT6A.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

Below is the new 120 Gallon Display tank with the Bonsai Tree branches. this is the tank that will get the new frah cutting. Will be fun to see them grow and crust onto the branches :)

jungle.jpg
Just beautiful first pic what acro is the blue yellow and red one

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course I will post tons of pictures. Stay tuned!!!!!!!! the Idea is as i cut frags for the new display i will share all the mother pics also, as well as progress shots of each of the tenuis Frags. Since you asked Ill start with this one.. This is the SBB " Half Baked"- these pics are courtesy of Michael Vargas! @MichaelVargasPhotography

post this.jpeg

bakkked.jpeg

DQ_leqaE.jpeg
I want one of these is this a coral that is still available or you can’t find it online

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jesus
For the record, everyone has their own way of doing things and person X or Y or Z does everything differently. I could care less how Shane or Bubba or Rev or JDA or Chasswood or Camaro Show or Big E or Mr. V or even Jesus himself run their tanks: that’s their system, it works for them!

You want to be the best, then you learn to pick people’s brains and you filter out what may or may not work from their methodology. You align your views with theirs and that’s how you have a successful tank. Learn and learn, trial and error

Now can someone copy Shane’s method? I’d argue NO; Not unless you do everything to the T like he does; he gets the results he gets cuz that’s his system.

If people can’t have mature dialogue, then this site is worthless. Even the post that I made to Shane was answered and left at that- there’s no after thought to it. And then this guy comes up and tries to prove some “point?” Who’s the one that needs to move on? Grow up, “dude”.
Looks like @Jesus didn’t keep sticks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back