OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
@shane backer Which salt do you prefer? I've read this entire thread but I don't recall seeing that, I apologize if it was already mentioned. Thanks again for this thread and telling your methods.

We use Tropic Marin Pro. it has good trace elements and mixes clear quickly.. watch out though because the alk is at 7 and i keep my system at 9.. so i have to dose alk in the new saltwater to bring up the alk.. If i don't do this then the overall alk in my system drops almost 1 point which is a lot..

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi shane i was looking at your youtube videos and the polyp extension on your acros is ridiculous... it looks like bloody hair algae lollll... whats the secret to getting polyps extension like that?? Thanks man i enjoy your youtube vids

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi shane i was looking at your youtube videos and the polyp extension on your acros is ridiculous... it looks like bloody hair algae lollll... whats the secret to getting polyps extension like that?? Thanks man i enjoy your youtube vids
Hello,
thanks for watching.. i think the secrete is very clean water and changing out the RODI unit and phyto.. but i am not 100% sure how i do it LOL

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks shane.... do you think this is a tenuis or a milli? Picked it up yesterday

8B5E9785-B068-4103-9EE2-FE0273376B8D.jpeg

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks shane.... do you think this is a tenuis or a milli? Picked it up yesterday

8B5E9785-B068-4103-9EE2-FE0273376B8D.jpeg
The picture looks blurry, but I’m guessing it’s a tenius. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice lets see some of your photo how did they come out ?

In earlier try I put pure blue and some red, it came out a bit too much red.
DSC08626 (1).JPG

Then I try with no red but a bit of white, the color came out to more accurate to what I see IRL.
DSC08739.JPG

DSC08754.JPG

bcardoro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shane! Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind to share what kind of DI resins do you use? BRS ones?

Thanks!

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through this thread and drooled over all the pics. You have an amazing collection of happy corals. Well done and thanks so much for sharing!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi Shane! Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind to share what kind of DI resins do you use? BRS ones?

Thanks!
Hey there.. we use the BRS Bulk resin Blue. we like the color changing ones so we know when to change them out

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Shane,
Do you ever triton test your tank? I have't noticed in the thread if you do or not, would you mind posting the results if you do?
Hello yes we do.. we do it sometimes every 2 weeks. we just sent one out today for our main system and will share with here with you once we receive it back

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello yes we do.. we do it sometimes every 2 weeks. we just sent one out today for our main system and will share with here with you once we receive it back

Thanks so much. Posting a few old ones too would certainly help give us an idea about how you maintain your water chemistry to get such amazing looking corals. :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all the corals! It’s sad your sticking to just one type of acropora. I also love seeing collectors interact on boards like this. Don’t take the following the wrong way I am just trying to help by giving some experience and am curious what you think. Considering your losses are so high with the coral your selling and collecting I would second the notion of trying some halide lamps like Texas Todd was talking about. You should be able to lower your prices by getting more corals to live. I don’t think tiny swings have anything to do with new corals dying either, unless the coral was on its way out to start and from my experience half the corals from wholesalers I have got died within 2 months. I love how many fixtures your using and I bet you would be astonished at how well a halide can color up a coral to look amazing under blue light and at this point you might even save money on electricity.
Also buying straight from the point of origin is easier on the coral ime. Buying from wholesalers is just buying pieces that have been handled many times over and allowed to sit with a lot of other corals and in the end I have seen more deaths (from stress and handling) when trying to order from a wholesaler than if I order straight from indo and setup the correct tank to keep them alive. Most people collecting wild corals to grow and or resell have much better survival rates. They also get to sell the corals that are not worth propagating before they turn an odd color or die.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back