High light tolerated encrusting coral

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some colorful encrusting coral that can tolerate high light (400 to 500 PAR)?

I have a spot high up that want to plant some encrusting coral. It can't be branching or plating because it would shade the area underneath.

I have some encrusting monti like the sunset monti and purple haze monti. But they tend to pale out at high light, like above 300. So is there some other corals, or other variety of monti, can hold its color at 500 PAR?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same experience as you, corals paling out under high light but they grow really well. A cyphastrea would be my first choice but my JF Rainbow Monti also enjoys really high par

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, I don’t think cyphastrea tolerate high par at all. In fact, my cyphastrea grows on the overflow of my tank spreading wherever it wants and just based on the growth pattern you can see that it actually avoids the high light, preferring to grow in the opposite direction.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The only direct light it gets is from the T5’s above. It stays away from the led/T5 area. My green leptosteris on the other hand is spreading like a cancer throughout between my acros.
image.jpg

Thats 400 to 450 par.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, I don’t think cyphastrea tolerate high par at all. In fact, my cyphastrea grows on the overflow of my tank spreading wherever it wants and just based on the growth pattern you can see that it actually avoids the high light, preferring to grow in the opposite direction.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The only direct light it gets is from the T5’s above. It stays away from the led/T5 area. My green leptosteris on the other hand is spreading like a cancer throughout between my acros.
image.jpg

Thats 400 to 450 par.

leptosteris sounds like a better choice then. The jack-o'-lantern and 24k is very nice too.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 24k lepto is getting hit by a lot of light and does not seem to mind. Freak hair lepto as well.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cyphastrea and leptoseris don't care for high light. Every time I've tried to move them up, they start going pale.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there some Porites that can take a ton of light. Darth maul maybe?

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20201228_200512415.jpg PXL_20201228_200523375.MP.jpg

These are what I'm trying to do. The GSP is settling down there after two tries. Then I planted a Psammocora on one side, and some cyphastrea on the other. Will see how they do.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back