High Si levels

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have publiced this in my built thread but I will also publice it here in a special thread

Got my latest results from Triton lab today. All was fine without one parameter – the Si concentration – it was – I hope you are sitting steady - 7035 µg/l I know the reason but it’s difficult to fix it without taking up my whole DSB. I did the mistake to place 2 litre of SIPORAX in the bottom. It seems like it release Si during anaerobic conditions (David at Sjöfartsmuseet Akvariet – a public aquarium in Gothenburg – has seen the same happens there but not so high concentrations)

Any ideas of something that can take away most of this? – i will prepare a water change of 20 % tomorrow but the question is if GFO take up SI also. I do not use GFO for the moment - only an Al based mix.

It start to rise 14.10.17 from 281 µg/l -> 1071 µg/l10.1.17 -> 1114 µg/l 6.5.17 to 7035 µg/l 30.7.17. I had risen the flow (reversed ) through the DSB just before I took the sample. I do not know how long time I have had this high figures. But the standpoint that high Si values cause blooms of diatoms by itself will be ruled out – at least in my aquaria. Anyone – any thoughts?
7035 µg/l -> 7035 ppb -> 7,035 ppm

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both aluminum based- and iron-based phosphate binders will bind silicate, but I'm not sure which is more effective as I've never seen any comparative data.

If you do not have a diatom problem (presumably because they are being limited by something else, such as N, P, Fe, etc.), then I'm not sure it is any problem.

Accidentally getting some floating diatoms into the ICP plasma might also give erroneously high Si readings.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the answer.

I can´t see any problems at the moment - the corals and all other organism in the aquarium looks good - thats more important for me compared with the importance of just a figure.

But such high values I never ever have Heard about.

My phosphorus is (as P) 18 µg/l and at sample time - nitrate was around 8 mg/l - levels are not so very low (they are where I want them) Iron is low (n.d in this test) but I have a great makoalgae growth so I do not suspect any growth limiting factor.

Sincerely Lasse

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both aluminum based- and iron-based phosphate binders will bind silicate, but I'm not sure which is more effective as I've never seen any comparative data.

If you do not have a diatom problem (presumably because they are being limited by something else, such as N, P, Fe, etc.), then I'm not sure it is any problem.

Accidentally getting some floating diatoms into the ICP plasma might also give erroneously high Si readings.

They must filter the sample first no? If not thats a big problem imo

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must filter the sample first no? If not thats a big problem imo

I've asked and the translation was something like centrifugation. So they are aware of the issue.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Do you know if Si will precipitate if the levels get very high – now we are talking about 15 – 17 ppm and in which form will it precipitate if so?

By the way - tomorrow I will take out my siporax from the DSB. I do not like to tuch a 1,5 year old DSB but I think I need to do that

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Do you know if Si will precipitate if the levels get very high – now we are talking about 15 – 17 ppm and in which form will it precipitate if so?

By the way - tomorrow I will take out my siporax from the DSB. I do not like to tuch a 1,5 year old DSB but I think I need to do that

Sincerely Lasse

It's old, but there's a discussion of the saturation point here (a little less than you post):

https://books.google.com/books?id=x...uration limit of silicate in seawater&f=false

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you start to grow crystals in your tank Lasse? :D:D:D

800px-Quartz%2C_Tibet.jpg

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Thank you

I´m able to see some sign that I have got precipitation of Si on my rocks and on the glass. I will rinse the DSB tomorrow and doing some water changes, come back later with reports how its going

@Mandelstam I do my best :)

Sincerely Lasse

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Thank you

I´m able to see some sign that I have got precipitation of Si on my rocks and on the glass. I will rinse the DSB tomorrow and doing some water changes, come back later with reports how its going

@Mandelstam I do my best :)

Sincerely Lasse
I just got my ATI test results and my Si is 1068. Interestingly enough I had just put 1 litre of Siporax in a week before test. I will be pulling it out!

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I pulled out my Siporax from the DSB - the level decline and its around 350 now. I want it there - therefore I add some now and then.

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you for reply. I think I will do the same

Mako61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same issue my Si is 8300. I have a lot of Siporax in my sump. Did you see any changes in your tank after reducing the level ? My tank seems fine. I probably will just pull it out for piece of mind. Interestingly I have Some Marine Pure in my tank and did the test because I was worried about Al. It was zero

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got as high as 21 000 microgram/litre and got silicate on my windows (an stones) My sponges disappear too. Today with readings of 400 microgram/litre my sponges start to come back and no silicates on the windows or stones. My snails works well too.

No other issues I know about - either before or after removing the siporax.

Sincerely Lasse

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back