HIGH water level in display

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently installed a sump and HOB overflow to my system and it has been running flawlessly for about 2 months now. Suddenly today, the water level is extremely high in the display. Another 1/4 inch and it will overflow. I havent adjusted the overflow or return pump at all since it was installed.

Anyone have any insight as to why this might be happening?

Tank: 40b
Overflow: Skimz OM2500 (with aqua lifter pump)
Sump: Precision Marine 30g

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you add your top off water?
I once had a tank with a hob overflow and I had a similar issues until I caught the wife and kids dumping the top off water in the tank and not the sump. I turned the pump off let it all drain into the sump explained why it needs to be done my way and turned the pump back on and didn't have that issue again lol
Only other thing that comes to mind is your drain is possibly getting clogged by a snail, algae, etc. I know the eshopps overflow I had I needed to clean the U pipe every other month as it filled with algae if I didn't.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you add your top off water?
I once had a tank with a hob overflow and I had a similar issues until I caught the wife and kids dumping the top off water in the tank and not the sump. I turned the pump off let it all drain into the sump explained why it needs to be done my way and turned the pump back on and didn't have that issue again lol
Only other thing that comes to mind is your drain is possibly getting clogged by a snail, algae, etc. I know the eshopps overflow I had I needed to clean the U pipe every other month as it filled with algae if I didn't.
I add the top off water to the sump so thats not the issue.
Cleaning the U pipe sounds like a good idea. Thats the one place in the overflow that I havent cleaned.

Try cleaning the teeth on your overflow, check the drains for clogs and/or turn down your return pump.
Cleaning the teeth was the first thing I tried. I also tried lowering the return pump speed, but no dice.
Hopefully cleaning the u pipe does the trick

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took apart the overflow this morning and cleaned it all up the best I could. It wasn't very dirty and I found no blockages. After starting the system back up, everything is working well
I wish there was some way to clean this part of the overflow.... any ideas?
upload_2019-4-27_12-39-41.png

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is a HOB you could remove it and use vingear, or you could use a bottle brush.
Hard to tell from the picture that I posted, but its an enclosed area thats basically inaccessible. Bottle brush wouldn't get in there, vinegar may work though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back