Higher Flow Recommendations for a 120g

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillyC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
25
Location
SLC, UT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have 2 mp40s, one on each side and I would still like more flow. I have a lot of sps corals that demand it for best coloration.

Putting a 3rd mp40 in the back is out of the question because my tank is too close to the wall and I'm like a 1/2" short of space.

Any recommendations?

Here's a pic of my tank a couple months ago...
00ba6239.jpg
 
I would have thought you'd be getting plenty of flow out of 2 mp40's. What mode are they on? If you add a third i'd add it to either side and just postion it in a different spot.
 
I thought so too but I want more spots in my tank that are very high flow instead of moderately high flow. I alternate between Nutrient Transport and Reef Crest.
 
I also have a 120 and I also have two mp40's. They aren't enough flow for these tanks. I have a reeflo pump on a closed loop drilled through the back of the tank. It ads about 2000+ gallons per hour of flow (the pump says 3750ish)
 
I also run mine on reef crest mode and alternating. So I actually only have 75% of one mp40 going at any one time.
 
I currently run one mp40 on constant for my 120g..this is in conjunction with ~1500g of return and bare bottom..This seems to be plenty for my mixed reef...I would, however, like to get one more to reduce the running speeds/intensities as well as create a more random pattern!!
 
I'm toying with the idea of running a Tunze or 2 in the back of the tank but I don't know anything about how well they provide flow, gph, models etc. any recommendations?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new