HIPPO TANG ICH TREATMENT

bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a hippo tang yesterday who was doing well originally. However, today I noticed some white spots (clearly not sand) on the side of the tang. The tang is still eating algae off my live rock, flake food w/ garlic, and mysis shrimp. I have read that attempting to catch hippo tangs to treat them for ich does more harm than good, I was wondering if other members have experience with treating hippo tangs. My ammonia is at zero, my nitrates are at zero, my salinity is 1.024, tank size: 75 gallon mixed reef. I did a slight water change today, however, I do water changes once every two weeks, and have never had a fish with ich before today. I am curious as to what members would recommend for treatment.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post photos of the tang showing the white spots? So we can determine if this is ich or velvet you are dealing with.

Also, do you have a QT or can you set one up?

OP
OP
bet

bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post photos of the tang showing the white spots? So we can determine if this is ich or velvet you are dealing with.

Also, do you have a QT or can you set one up?

I do not have pics at the moment, I am 99% certain it is ich. I do not have a QT running, but can setup one.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ agreed. Hippo tangs are not that difficult to treat honestly. They will sometimes develop HLLE during copper treatment, but it can usually be reversed with vitamins and good water quality.... especially once the copper treatment is over. All the fish will need treatment as humble said.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back