Hitch hiker crab reef safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter leotigris
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

leotigris

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2021
Messages
20
Reaction score
10
Location
Leeds
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m new to the hobby and have a 123l (Fluval Sea) with 2 clowns. I’ll do a proper intro post with more details of my setup soon.

I have a hitchhiker on one of my live rocks, I’ve managed to take it out of the tank but have no idea what it is.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help ID it and tell me if it’s reef safe.

BAB781D9-61B1-49D0-8468-162DDCCFCF08.jpeg


I think it shed its shell earlier, here’s a pic of that too

EC750FDE-AA9B-4CA0-83C5-14F7C2C45986.jpeg


Thanks
 
Hi All,

I’m new to the hobby and have a 123l (Fluval Sea) with 2 clowns. I’ll do a proper intro post with more details of my setup soon.

I have a hitchhiker on one of my live rocks, I’ve managed to take it out of the tank but have no idea what it is.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help ID it and tell me if it’s reef safe.

BAB781D9-61B1-49D0-8468-162DDCCFCF08.jpeg


I think it shed its shell earlier, here’s a pic of that too

EC750FDE-AA9B-4CA0-83C5-14F7C2C45986.jpeg


Thanks
Never been good ID’ing crabs, but can tag some peps who are good.

@vetteguy53081 @KJ should be able to help you out.
 
Thanks for the quick replies.

Out of interest what are the features that ID it as a Porcelin?
 
Not a porcelain but rather a xanthid crab. Not to be trusted in the tank but you can place in the sump. It will graze on algae and you can drop him a little food every now and then.
Not as bad as gorilla crab but still a naughty one.
 
Not a porcelain but rather a xanthid crab. Not to be trusted in the tank but you can place in the sump. It will graze on algae and you can drop him a little food every now and then.
Not as bad as gorilla crab but still a naughty one.

Xanthid crabs dont have the long feelers. Also notice that porcelain crabs only have 3 legs on each side and not 4.
iu
iu


The one above is a porcelain crab
 
Here’s a closer look, want to be sure as I don’t have a sump but a closed of section at the back for the filters, sump, heater etc.

From what I can see it has long feelers, which it has been waving about rapidly, 3 legs on each side and feather like hair on the claw.

9D2787B2-36C4-453C-955F-E903D67CE020.jpeg
 
I’ve known porcelain to be more smooth shell but true, there are Many varieties.
 
Xanthid crabs dont have the long feelers. Also notice that porcelain crabs only have 3 legs on each side and not 4.
iu
iu


The one above is a porcelain crab
Agree.
 
Thanks for your help everybody, it’s back in the tank now hiding in the rock. Hopefully it will make an appearance soon.
 
I have a video of mine eating at night that I cant seem to get off of my phone.
 
Finally got around to writing the Build Thread :)

No sign of the porcelain crab yet, will have to do a night time hunt :D
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new