Hitch-Hiker Paly Attached to Aussie Toadstool- Removal Help?

BlueBekaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I was doing a water change today and noticed a neat looking hitch-hiker on my toadstool coral. Problem is, I don't think my toadstool appreciates the company, especially with that weird brown gunk on the side (doesn't come off with a toothbrush). The toadstool seems healthy otherwise. I didn't want to go at it with a razor blade before consulting someone on here to see if there would be any issues with keeping it or if removal would cause it to release toxins or whatnot. I am also kind of a noob when it comes to trimming corals; I've only ever trimmed and glued GSP so some tips on how I should go about moving the (paly?) hitch-hiker would be appreciated. :)
20220223_110902.jpg
Toadstool Hitchiker_Moment.jpg
Toadstool Hitchiker_Moment(2).jpg

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice zoa!
It kind of looks like the zoa is partially attached to a rock, is that right? If thats the case then try to remove a small bit of the rock from under the zoa. I have never seen zoas growing onto other soft corals so it might be that the zoa was on the rock/plug before the toadstool, i could be wrong though.

Regardless, your toadstool will not die if you chip a small piece to take off the zoa. It might release some toxins yes but if you run carbon then you'll be fine. If not, then do a bigger WC the day after cutting it.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed a neat little polyp and would be great to get it to grow/spread

I hae a big ol' toad stool surrounded by palys, here in its occasional de-waxing and they seem fine, so hard to impagine your one little polyp is causing the mushroom too much concern

So will provide the alternative suggestion and say be, and see if it spreads away for the toadstool

and yes, the bases of these touch below that shadow casting head

IMG_3165.jpg

OP
OP
BlueBekaw

BlueBekaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably attempt to cut it off and move it so that I can actually see it. It's actually kind of hard to tell if it's attached to that rock and not the toadstool, but I think I'll be able to safely move the whole thing to see what's going on. I'm just glad it's not cause for much concern. It's quite lovely for a hitch-hiker I think; my phone camera doesn't do it much justice lol. :) Thanks again!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back