Toadstool leather re-attachmemt

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,hope all is well.
Well just woke up and toadstool ripped off from frag plug and on sand bed.( happened at worse possible time as tommorrow morning i go on holiday for 1 week)
If dont want read back story of coral jump to "PLAN" at bottom off page.
So question is it was attached by a really thin rope/string threaded through its base onto a a frag plug ( frag plug was hollowed out so to speak)
I bought the coral about 2-3 weeks ago maybe and first 2 weeks i stood on sand bed giving it less light flow so could aclimintise and as it was shrivvelling up and new to corals i epoxied plug onto rockwork in middle of tank ( still good 12 inch from water level and 15 inch from my 4 bulb t5 lights.
Im thinking was to much flow for the coral as got 2 power heads facing each other and the water hits each other and flows down past the coral.whilst on sand bed it was fully open first 3- 4 days with polyos extended etc but then polyps retracted and i believe started shedding.then moved onto rockwork at slight angle and shrivelled up ( did think at time that worse case could get ripped off as pushing against the string at its base.
The coral doesnt smell bad and still firm to tje touch.

PLAN:

So question is my plan sound as best as can be .
Pulled plug off rockwork.
Clean out what i can off toadstool from centre of frag plug.
Razor blade straight bottom off toadstool.
Wrap 1 or 2 elastic bands over the top of toadstool and around bottom off plug .
Put in a qt/hospital tank i have set up for fish ( never been medicated) and hope it re-attaches over the coming days while im away.
I not tested nitrates/phosphates in this qt tank but im guessing they 0 as been empty and not fed for maybe 5 months ( still kept running though)
I dont think good idea putting stressed toadstool back in dt as im going on holiday as mother in law who coming to feed fish will not pull it out tank if starts melting or if fish srart dying i know for a fact.
Buy some carbon once lfs opens at 11 am in 3 hours and place in some kind mesh net or even pair of tights/ pantyhose i think americans call them.incase toadstool released toxins in tank.
Luckily i have a 15% water change ready to do a wc as plan was wc today anyway.siphon up loose parts of toadstool that on sand.
Sound like a plan ?
Once test qt tank nitrates and phosphates if they 0 then ask mother in law to drop bit if pellet food or clam into tank couple times whilst im away maybe to try elevate nutrients.
Unfortunately not got calcium/magnesium tests.
In dt in last week i checked.....
Nitrates = 20-50 salifert
Phospates= 0.25
Alk= came at i think 7.9 or 8.9 but first time using test so was unaware how fast colour changed pink lol ,re-tested and did slower got full dkh higher ,will try look and change here once moved coral.
Qt lights are really rubbish,a very low small led light just to light tank for the fish but as dont think good idea put in dt,this next best option and got an internal canister filter with sponge and plastic bio balls on qt and internal sponge filter that i removed sponge juat to use for extra flow.
Will clean up frag plug best i can and wrap elastic band around toadstool and put in qt whilst i await an answer and test alk/nitrates/phosphates/amnonia etc in qt.

Also other torches are torch still looking ok and extended/lobo still fluffed up/zoa and paly frag still opened/gsp frags on back wall dying/melting away still from last 1 month ( never really opened back up since cut up and glued on overflow.need anymore info will add when i can,thanks in advance ^_^

20210905_074242.jpg 20210905_074246.jpg 20210905_074253.jpg 20210905_074306.jpg 20210905_074309.jpg 20210905_074321.jpg 20210905_075255.jpg 20210905_075301.jpg 20210905_075305.jpg 20210905_075334.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell how you're attaching it (which side up).

I would leave it in tank. If you're going to your LFS buy nice good size piece of rock rubble. Something your toadstool can live on for a few years and you can move around without removing the coral. Frag plugs aren't optimum for softies IMO.

Those bigger rubble pieces will have nooks you can gently place that toadstool into (polyp side up) and still put a string or rubber band over the top without cutting into it. (Although if it does you'll end up with two at some point as I did with mine - unintentionally).

Leave it in tank it should be fine and probably best environment for it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just reset it within rocks. What you have is not normal but is salvageable. You do want to scrub the leftover matter on the rock outside of the tank to alleviate any chances of toxins. Adding a pouch of chemipure Blue will help with toxins IF present.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell how you're attaching it (which side up).

I would leave it in tank. If you're going to your LFS buy nice good size piece of rock rubble. Something your toadstool can live on for a few years and you can move around without removing the coral. Frag plugs aren't optimum for softies IMO.

Those bigger rubble pieces will have nooks you can gently place that toadstool into (polyp side up) and still put a string or rubber band over the top without cutting into it. (Although if it does you'll end up with two at some point as I did with mine - unintentionally).

Leave it in tank it should be fine and probably best environment for it.

Polylp side up in rock rubble style frag plug i rubber banded it to but i think maybe little to tight. I just got home from lfs with some red sea spec carbon.
Dt would be better place for it i agree rather than tiny 15 g qt tank with more than likely worse led light ever made.its been in qt tank for last 3- 4 hours maybe and my thinking was if it started dying and thats reason why base ripped off then i dont want it dying whilst abroad from tommorrow for one week and mother in law definately wont take it out tank if does die,( probably to much flow as was in centre of tank left to right and up and down and 2 power heads facing each other and water pushing on top of it has ripped it off with the string acting as a cheese cutter so to speak) i read moderate flow so thought was moderate but maybe mistaken as new to reefs .
So i know best place for it be in dt but if anything goes wrong i cant rectify it for 8 days and mother in law will not get step ladders out and put hand in tank after showing her all the critters on my phone ha ha so unsure if want to put in display but thanks will think about it.
Will be either loosening elastic band or putting in sone kind brandy glass so it can re-attach or as idea above using crushed coral underneath it

Attachments

• 20210905_085656.jpg
    20210905_085656.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210905_090502.jpg
    20210905_090502.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210905_090509.jpg
    20210905_090509.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210905_091119.jpg
    20210905_091119.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reset it within rocks. What you have is not normal but is salvageable. You do want to scrub the leftover matter on the rock outside of the tank to alleviate any chances of toxins. Adding a pouch of chemipure Blue will help with toxins IF present.
Thanks for reply everyone.
I took that rock rubble style frag plug out of the tank and scrubbed it clean and rinsed it plus did roughly 20% wc and siphoning sandbed up where was few loose pieces of it.
I just came back from lfs and unfortunately with it being sunday wont have time to go back up for chemicure blue,i rid biy some red sea reef spec carbon,i did think activated carbon would help capture some toxins in tank.maybe im mistaken and if im wrong its shame lfs didnt say get chemipure blue instead as explained to him what happenned and shown pictures ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some reason 2 threads started so will link together as posted in both and only just realised 2 threads so only half pictures in one and half in other.i did notice had to press " post thread" twice so maybe lost connection.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back