HOB overflows?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death but Im curious about hang on back overflows and how often they fail. Am I asking for a disaster? Any tips on what brands work well? Any return pump suggestions? I’m just a blue collar guy with a small budget to work with. Thank you for any help! This place is so awesome
you can always do DIY on the overflow. and for return pump the Sicce are fairly inexpensive and dependable.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

50732D91-5EF4-4B61-9332-077FBEE1AEAF.gif

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks with the HOB overflows. The main is a 75g mixed reef that's going on 5 years now and the other is a 20g anemone tank in my workshop that's just over a year running. No issues with the main in the 5 years, no floods or siphon breaks or bubbles collecting in the U-tube. The only drawback is I need to remove the overflow a few times a year to thoroughly clean and out of the box they're noisy and need to be silenced with a stockman standpipe that could be made cheaply with some PVC.

Main tank
HwDxLHil.jpg

Anemone tank
fTdgdIwl.jpg

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. My advice is to take your time do your research and weigh the pros and cons of all perspectives and options to fit what your desires are and if budget is the issue holding you back wait a little longer to save up for what you need to make those desires a reality vice getting something that will work. It's much harder to change methods down the road as opposed to getting what you want in the first place.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take the proper precautions (aqualifter to maintain siphon + hole in return line) you will never have an issue.
Ive used HOBs on 4 different tanks (including DIY HOB) for 4+ years without issues.

He makes a good point that hasn't been brought up yet. Either put a hole near the surface of your return nozzle to break the siphon in the event of a power loss, or what I do is have the return nozzle mounted just below the surface to break the siphon in the same event.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think HOB overflows have some pros and cons like everything else and the choice will be very personal. As long as you do your research, work on your required redundancies and keep it well maintained I would say you will have no problem with an HOB. Out of the box mine was noisy. But I built a hofer buster with a few pvc pieces and now is silent. I think the "question of when not if" when talking about HOBs is maybe overblown. That statement probably applies to everything we use in some form or another. Heaters, pumps, lights etc will all fail eventually. All we can do is extend their life with dutiful maintenance, the HOB will be no different.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to a HOB overflow is having it matched to your return pump. If your pump is not strong enough you have the possibility of losing siphon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back