Hobby Depressed: What gets you FIRED back up?

What is your current level of enthusiasm for the hobby?

• Totally FIRED Up!

Votes: 290 46.0%
  • Somewhat Excited

Votes: 188 29.8%
  • Interested but not that excited

Votes: 91 14.4%
  • Hobby Depressed

Votes: 61 9.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As a new hobbyist I was excited all the time. It really didn't take much. But as time goes by the excitement can wain and the passion can run lukewarm. But what if you want to get motivated again? What if you want to be passionate again? What does it take and what do you do to get there? Start with a cup of coffee and then go from there. :p

For me lately it doesn't take a lot to get me down and out in the hobby. YES I struggle at times. When you battle a dinoflagellate outbreak for a year and then now a super hair algae villain it can really get you "hobby depressed" so to speak! But just as quick as I get down, something comes along to get me fired back up again and next thing you know I'll be performing water changes and pulling loads of hair algae and I'll be on top of the mountain again.

For me it's simple. Beautiful reef tanks. All I need to do is start looking at other people's success stories knowing that it's not an impossible task and anything worth having, at times, faces adversity. So yes a beautiful FTS normally gets my passion engine revving and rolling again!

So what about you? Let's talk about that today! Answer me this:

What does it take to get you from "hobby depressed" to excited, passionate and fired back up again about your reef tank?

Get Fired Up.jpg

Acroalan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visiting with fellow reefers and talking to someone else with the same obsession for keeping acros and other corals always gives me a bump in enthusiasm. Forums like this help, and seeing pictures of other people's tanks are good. But nothing beats going to pick up a frag from a fellow reefer and chatting about their tanks and their struggles is gold.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With having a stable system and everything growing nicely, I'm not nearly as fired up as I was when getting everything going. Once a tank can maintain itself, you essentially are doing minimal work to the system so not enough there to be fired up about.

It is exciting seeing coral/fish do well and not need to spend money to keep replacing dead stuff though ;)

Now once the Mastetronic is released I'll get fired up again.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the constant discovery that keeps me fired up. I planned to have a softy only tank...which I have done, if it weren't for the "freebie" SPS that showed up on a clove polyp frag. On top of that, with the recent addition of more hermits and emerald crabs, I discovered that my Alk has been dropping into the 6's. Calcium was really low too. I am now seriously exploring dosing Kalkwasser. I intended to never dose with a softy only tank. Well, with this info, I am actually excited at the prospect of now dipping my toe into that "dosing" world. Water changes are no longer solving the depletion of alk and calcium. What a fun "problem" to have. Ha!

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hobby depressed for the better part of last year because of the confluence of several setbacks all at once. I got fired up again over the last few months and things are taking a turn for the better. I wish I knew exactly what caused the change but I think it came down to some raw innate determination coupled with actually have lives at stake. I just got tired of having an embarrassingly ugly box of water near my desk and realized that tearing it down wasn't really an option that would make me feel good. So, I'm back to being excited and ready to fix the problems I had. I guess since that flame was sparked again, it's the education process that's keeping my interested and motivated. There really is so much to learn and so many little things that combine to make things work. I like working through that kind of stuff.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rediscovering a frag I tossed in the back corner ("graveyard") and seeing that it came back to life always gets me excited again.

I started taking monthly photos the beginning of each month, sometimes just digging through the archive and seeing the progress is enough.

When I get into a slump lately I've been using the time to deep clean a device or part of my sump and seeing it all sparkly again is rejuvenating!

knowen87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is more depressing than watching all your work deteriorate and even worse is when you don't know why. My interest definitely ebbs and flows. I think the easier to maintain the better. Auto water changes were definitely a major change for me. I have never had as good of a tank as I do right now.

l_jesse_l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve had a reef tank sense 1980. What keeps me excited is the continuous self challenges. Like balancing lps and sps. Or like which fish provide best environments and co-exists together. Also the everyday water quality. All in all it’s a great hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_9383.MOV
    23 MB

scvc620

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life got in the way and my tank suffered greatly. Walked by it about October last year and decided to get off my behind and get it back in gear. Going slow, but the rewards are there and I am so excited to see the progress I have made. Found a couple of frags I didn't know were even still in there, new lights, new torch coral, new fish. And my little bitty acan is now about the size of a nickel. To many that is not much, but I am thrilled!! Thanks to all of the help I have received from these forums. You gals and guys are the best!

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I became Hobby Depressed when I had equipment failure. I lost some livestock that had just started to take off. I struggled getting everything back online only to unexpectedly have to move. Due to the move I basically had to start from scratch. That was a year ago. Since then I've been fighting everything that goes with setting up a new tank. I can't seem to get my tank healthy again. Last week one of my fish that I've had for several years decided to get himself stuck on and MP40 and died. The cost of building and maintaining a tank also seems to be increasing. The equipment that failed was only a little over a year old and wasn't cheap. It's so frustrating when you spend so much money on equipment thinking your getting good products only for it to fail. I want to enjoy the hobby again, hopefully I can regain control soon.

Popkorn0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fire up when i set up a tank find the perfect flow light, perfect gears, fight algea fight bacteria bloom read about everything but now 7 year reefing the tank is full everything is growing everything is healty everything is color full and the tank is full full full, cant put even a tiny frag in it. So im not fire up annymore but still exited about my reef, i will fire up again when i will start new reef.

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As a new hobbyist I was excited all the time. It really didn't take much. But as time goes by the excitement can wain and the passion can run lukewarm. But what if you want to get motivated again? What if you want to be passionate again? What does it take and what do you do to get there? Start with a cup of coffee and then go from there. :p

For me lately it doesn't take a lot to get me down and out in the hobby. YES I struggle at times. When you battle a dinoflagellate outbreak for a year and then now a super hair algae villain it can really get you "hobby depressed" so to speak! But just as quick as I get down, something comes along to get me fired back up again and next thing you know I'll be performing water changes and pulling loads of hair algae and I'll be on top of the mountain again.

For me it's simple. Beautiful reef tanks. All I need to do is start looking at other people's success stories knowing that it's not an impossible task and anything worth having, at times, faces adversity. So yes a beautiful FTS normally gets my passion engine revving and rolling again!

So what about you? Let's talk about that today! Answer me this:

What does it take to get you from "hobby depressed" to excited, passionate and fired back up again about your reef tank?

Get Fired Up.jpg
I'm not really fired up. It seems one problem after the next. First I fight off nuisance algae and then Cyano and back to algae and back to cyano. Its crazy for an understocked tank, great skimmer and use Chemi Pure. Pretty soon I'll throw in the towel.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back