HoBgoblin Cove - 12g Long

Reefnik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my first tank! I come from a deep fascination with the ocean, some axolotl breeding, and an obsession with glass boxes full of water.

2018: I finally find myself renting an apartment that allows pets, and a job that allows some pocket money. What choice do I have but to start a reef tank? So I did, about 2 months ago.

My main philosophy with the tank is simple, natural processes, combined with efficient, modern technology. I want low maintenance, not out of a lack of wanting to be involved, but because it just seems more stable. At the same time, I want something that people can be inspired by, and enjoy learning some marine biology through. And of course, I want something unique! I've built the whole thing on an antique table that's been in my family for years (generously covered in vinyl), and am after a coastal theme, from a long love of tidepooling and observing the life where land meets sea.

I hear you like pictures. I'll start with some full shots, go over the tank critters, and then get into the hardware. Critique is very welcome! Also have a weird hitchhiker to ID at the end.

IMG_20180730_194853639_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180730_194906890_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180730_194435636_HDR.jpg

Livestock:
Bullseye Pistol Shrimp
Tiger Pistol Shrimp

2 Blue Sapphire Damsels
Sharknose Goby

Mangrove sapling

Coral:
2 Acans
Hammer
Toadstool
Branching GSP
Actinodiscus
Ricordea
Caulastrea

CuC:
Emerald Crab
4 Nassarius Snails
~8 Hermit Crabs
~8 mixed Cerith and Trochus Snails

Fun hitchhikers:
Pink Sponge (I think), Stomatella, strange little clam thing (more on this later), tiny scrap of yellow coralline.

IMG_20180730_184933822.jpg

IMG_20180730_080113349_HDR.jpg

Haven't had a ton of luck with SPS, although the morning after this photo, they started to get some color back! Also featuring my hitchhiker sponge behind the acans.
IMG_20180730_185002554.jpg

S20180729_006.jpg

Tri-color Acans from Tampico Coral Farm

IMG_20180730_185038105.jpg

Ricordea duo and one of the tiger pistol's hidey holes

Hardware:

Tank is centered around AutoAqua's auto water change system, and of course, the double HoB.

Nutrient control is through the 2-gallon HoB refugium equipped with a HoB filter, Kessil Tuna Flora, Marine Pure balls, and sea lettuce because it's also tasty.

The AWC controller replaces 3% of the tank volume per day, regularly removing bad stuff and replacing minerals for stability. The controller will also ATO with kalkwasser to stabilize ph, calcium, alk, and salinity. Currently I'm running plain RO and using two-part until I get steadier levels. Wastewater goes directly to the kitchen sink, all I have to do is mix SW and kalk every couple weeks. Loving this thing! Anyone else using one?

Temperature is controlled by an Inkbird temp controller, bimetal heater, and cooling fan. Currently hot as heck so been fluctuating between 80 and 81. Currently a cheap, temporary solution until I can afford an Apex down the road.

Water circulation is achieved with a Tunze Nanostream and Hydor Nano, with pump and rockwork placement allowing for semi-random flow circulating throughout the tank without wave controls, and heavy turbulence in the rockier section.

Lights are Fluval Sea 46W Marine LED, 12/12.

IMG_20180730_194402087_HDR.jpg

My half-finished wiring, controllers, and UPS backup.

IMG_20180730_194413831_HDR.jpg

Sump is live rock (and aiptasia..) storage at the moment. When I first got the tank I went seriously overboard with sand and live rocks. Then I decided my fish should really have more than 4" to swim in..

IMG_20180730_184838303.jpg

32862204_2053108494731321_1514911840918831104_n.jpg

The first tank denizen!

Hitchhiker ID Time

What the heck is it? Looks like a baby bivalve of some sort? Has at least 4 tentacles that extend many times further than its body length. Yellow shell part is maybe a millimeter across.

Thanks for reading, and for the warm welcome!

IMG_20180730_080123688_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little tank! With a water change regimen like that I don't see any problem keeping sps. It's good to play it safe for a little bit, but you could try something cheap pretty soon. I did the same thing until I saw some birdsnest for $5 and figured I'd try it.

OP
OP
Reefnik

Reefnik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little tank! With a water change regimen like that I don't see any problem keeping sps. It's good to play it safe for a little bit, but you could try something cheap pretty soon. I did the same thing until I saw some birdsnest for $5 and figured I'd try it.

Thanks! That sps actually just started to get some of its nice teal color back this morning. I'm thinking it may have been getting too little flow for a while, plus adjusting to lowering the light and adding the nanostream in the last few days. Here's hoping!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Like the rock setup.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) it's amazing how addicting playing around with rockwork is.
I was glued to my tank for weeks of empty cycling, trying to make it perfect. (And overhauled it a few times since then)
Yes, it is. I took about a week to setup the rocks on my 40g.

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) it's amazing how addicting playing around with rockwork is.
I was glued to my tank for weeks of empty cycling, trying to make it perfect. (And overhauled it a few times since then)
I still rescape like twice a year. It makes it like a whole new tank every time!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back