Hole in head Sailfin Tang

Bmorelive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin Tang,he will olny eat seaweed, I put Frozen brine shrimp he barely eats it, multiple times a day I put a 2 to 3in piece of seaweed in there he tears it up until it's gone an all over the tank an he will continuously do that ugh, and now he has holes in his head I don't know what it is?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings :)

You could be describing HLLE (Head and Lateral Line Erosion.). Throw that into the “Search” function here and you’ll probably have enough threads to read for a week— things ranging from poor nutrition, to poor water quality, to running carbon filtration, to stray voltage, to antidotes and wild guesses. Maybe post some clear photos here when you get a chance.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
walt disney hello GIF by hoppip

Welcome to R2R!!! Check out our disease forums. Ton of info over there. I bet you could find what you’re looking for

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, most folks will advocate greens before meaty foods as what Tangs need. My Tangs will eat anything but what they always have available is nori.
Also as suggested, checking for stray voltage, and dialing back carbon use and vitamin inclusion to help alleviate the problem.
Good luck with your Tang!!!
ZomboMeme 18042021102127.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin Tang,he will olny eat seaweed, I put Frozen brine shrimp he barely eats it, multiple times a day I put a 2 to 3in piece of seaweed in there he tears it up until it's gone an all over the tank an he will continuously do that ugh, and now he has holes in his head I don't know what it is?
Welcome!

Glad you joined and good luck with your tang. Daily I also feed mine macroalgae and nori snacks. They seem to really like Red Ogo so that's what I grow in my sump for snack and to help my tank parameters. Nori comes in different types. I try to mix it up to help meet nutrition needs. In wild all they would be eating is algae/seaweed. They are herbivores. Observing other fish eating other foods your tang may also begin to eat other foods. My sailfin may be slow to try new food, but once tasted, he quickly tries to eat all food before all other fish... Fingers crossed all works as you want

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, algae is tangs main diet, so as long as hes eating that all is well. The hole in his head sounds like the beginning of hlle. Its believed that poor diet and excessive carbon use are the biggest contributors to it. If you keep him on a good veggie based diet and arent running a ton of carbon he should heal.

Posting a picture would help so we can verify the diagnosis

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back