Holy Grail Fish

Do you own your holy grail fish/es??

• Total voters

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon, excessively expensive, but I’ve wanted one for the last 15 years. Bought one today. If he munches on coral, I might not care, lol.

a01bc58c6c9c71f910d872e72ae5de7c.jpg

Slackline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue Tang - sold him when I sold my 220. I miss that fish. Never had ich in the three years I had him. Just have 90 gallon now which is too small

Trio of Fathead Anthias - can’t commit to feeding three to four times a day so it’s a no go.

Slackline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue Tang - sold him when I sold my 220. I miss that fish. Never had ich in the three years I had him. Just have 90 gallon now which is too small

Trio of Fathead Anthias - can’t commit to feeding three to four times a day so it’s a no go.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only they were easy to keep alive. Super rare for anyone to keep them to maturity; literally a handful of success stories.

That, in itself, is the issue. Where they're claimed to be collected and where they're actually collected may not be the same, as collection in many regions is not legal.
I'm lucky that I know 2 locals that have kept theirs for years but a few years isn't quite enough time to me still.

justinmatt79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two: Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis is a fave of mine, but they are pricey and tough to find. The males may be one of the most stunning fish I’ve seen.

My other is Zanclus cornutus (Moorish idol). Except until we can better serve their dietary requirements I’ll be avoiding this fish.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine recently and she has come out of QT into the DT now. Here's my Blue Striped Tamarin Wrasse. I'll try to get a better picture, but she's quick and always on the move...

Here she is in QT
Tamarin Wrasse 3.jpg

And here she is in the DT
Tamarin Wrasse 6.jpg

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot! Forgot about Tinker's! I hope to one day have a huge tank with several roaops: Tinker's, Declivus, Mitratus, and Burgessi....If that can be pulled off.
I'll let you know man, jump over to my main tank thread as I have declivis and burgessi already and a mitratus coming in soon hopefully :D if I could get tinkeri at a reasonable price I'll get one too!!

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this Bodianus Opercularis as a 2" juvenile and kept it for 3+years...until it dove into a rocknem during a power outage and was "eaten" :(

Stunning fish! Always active and fun to watch. Only "issue" is it would eat the cleanup crew and pretty much every ornamental crustacean.

The yellow lines that it developed as a full adult brought into question if it was an Opercularis...some thought it was more rare, but whatever...it was the my "holy grail" fish.
bennetti.JPG
Candy_broadside_scoly.jpg
lyretails.jpg

Candy.jpg

Candy_broadside_rbta.jpg

Stange natural sunlight pic.jpg

Candy Feb26_2017.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any time I'm ready for Ahi (seared or poki) and not just because of the fine taste but because they are not on the endangered species list so far.

For the tank, the leafy seadragon (Phycodurus eques) would be a Holy Grail specimen for observation but sadly I'm not up for the challenge of trying to keep one, much less dealing or dodging the bureaucracy that stands in the way of acquiring one legally. It's easier to visit one in an aquarium if I needed too, and I'd be up for seared Ahi on the way! A Leafy is a fish I might covet for my home tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd show a pic of a poor man's show fish, pics don't do him justice but for under a $100. I lost a goldflake in qt and wasn't going to spend another $450, so I got his cousin, a flagfin. Just as difficult to acclimate, but I've had him a few years, and he's a pig and a showboat.

026.jpg

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream fish prior to really getting into the hobby was just regular clownfish so I guess I've met that goal. I love them and any tank I run will have at least one in it.
But now that I've been in the hobby for a little bit my Holy Grail fish(es) that I do not have would have to be:
-Powder Blue Tang (Don't have a tank big enough but they are so beautiful and have so much personality even if they are bullies lol)
-Mandarin Dragonet (Either green or red would be lovely, however I do not have the time or resources to spend on training them to eat specific foods)
-Randall Goby (Haven't been able to pin one down so far but one day!)

None of them are super expensive or rare but I still love them all so much and hope to keep them one day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back