Home made Automatic Water Tester

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa!!
That is impressive. I do not even want to think about how many hours you put into this AWT.
I thought about building one and my idea was a circular design with the test vial and colorimeter in the center. The Syringe would travel on a fixed bar across the diameter. The reagents would be on stepper controlled carousel table that rotated the reagents to be inline with the Syringes support bar. Pinch solenoids would be used heavily to reduce the amount of peristaltic pumps needed.

My thinking was that circular would make it more compact and allow for more reagent bottles. The alignment problems with the syringe would be eliminated by a different reflective dot pattern under each reagents holder and a single fixed sensor underneath the the carousel to read the pattern. This would allow the Arduino to always know when a reagent was in alignment with the syringe and what it contained.

Another idea for alignment was to use the same colorimeter sensor for testing and have it do a 180 deg rotation using an RC servo that is under it in the stationary center. When the Reagents are being rotated on the carousel the colorimeter would be pointed outward and the inner edge of the rotating carousel would have little posts that are colored differently. When the right one is in line with the colorimeter it would stop rotating and then turn the sensor back towards the test vial.

Another thing that I liked about this idea was that it would increase the speed since tests that require two reagents would always have them be placed on opposite sides of the carousel and therefore no extra rotation would be needed, just the syringe moving across the bar with only L-M-R stops.

I know the reefbot Pro uses a similar system but they move the syringe in a circle instead of the reagents.
My idea was to eliminate some of the alignment issues and speed things up.

I was also toying with the idea of taking it even one step further with the though of a second inner carousel that has multiple test vials orbiting the colorimeter sensors in the fixed center. The idea was that while one test is waiting for the reagents to change color another vial would be moved into place so it could start another parameter test.

Anyway I have experience and know that going from idea to a working prototype is very very hard and seldom do things work out the way you planned.

axlzys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,
can i have more information of that? i want make it by myself.just like how to connect them together?which pin to which pin?

stang_shane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys,

Here I want you to show me my homemade automatic water tester.
Its more or les te same idea as the Reefbot.

I used the following parts:
Raspberry Pi 3 as controller
2 Arduinos, 1 for controlling the stepper motors with an CNC Shield, and the other for analysing the color of the liquid in the reactor.
The software on the Raspberry is from Robogardens , but the software is changed a lot because of the other type of controlling and analysing.
On the CNC Shield Arduino is GRBL installed
And on the Analyse Arduino is running IO Rodeo Colorimeter

Aim still bussy with finetuning it, but the KH and Calcium results are almost reliable.
I still need to make an cover, so the light cannot influence the test results and effect the reagents.

If your interesting in the software or you have some feedback, please let me know.

Here are some pictures of the project:
IMG_9503.JPG

Water Flow:
Water schematic.jpg
I absolutely love this idea and plan on building my own this winter. Everything seems straight forward except I can't find those fill/drain reactors that you have. I've seen them on the ReefBot as well, but not sure what to call them to find this style vial. Also, just curious, but is the drain pump able to pull out all the liquid from these reactors.

Thanks!!

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a long time ago but here is an new update of my Automatic Water Tester.
There are a few things changed in the meantime.
1. Added an Alkalinity tester with PH Probe in a Jar.
2. Replaced the Relay board with PCA9685 DC motor boards for controlling the DC pumps, DC motors (shakers) and valves. (So now no more clicking noise of the relays, and more controllably)
3. made the machine smaller, so it fits in my tank stand (In a separated space next to my sump)
4. made a 3D printed cable chain to support the wiring while the syringe is moving.

Now the next part is to change the software, to get better readings with the PO4 and NO3 tests.
At this moment the color sensor is using all the 3 colors to measure the result.
I'll change this to a certain color, so the change of a certain color of the test sample should be more visible.

The size of the machine:
Old size: Lenght: 70 Width: 23 Height 40 (cm)
New size: Length: 60 Width: 23 Height: 36 (cm) (Still including all the 13 vails)
Here some pictures of the changes:

Here some pictures of the changes:
IMG_9832.jpeg

tempImageqG7L2G.jpg

hello, how are you?
want to know what type of acid are you useing in the KH test? also what is the formula for calculating ?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice project mate! Where did you buy vials (with membrane) - are these from Mastertronic?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back