Hood filter to refugium?

Fosterz_goodcall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a FrF / AA aquarium fish tank and using it for a marine setup and thought about using the hood filter as a refuge as I don’t have a sump but like the idea of having the benefits of refuge. I was thinking cutting the plastic lid and sealing clear acrylic in its place for lights to help grow chaeto if I could have some tips or someone just to say it won’t work would appreciate the help

image.jpg

image.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? What are the dimensions of the section you want to use? What is the flow rate? There are easy and inexpensive ways to add macro algae to your set up, but it also depends on your goals. In a reef tank macros can serve to keep the ph stable by running on an opposite light cycle, nutrient export like nitrates and phosphates, and a place for pods to breed. And how is the rest of the tank outfitted, are you using anything else like a protein skimmer or other filtration equipment.

OP
OP
Fosterz_goodcall

Fosterz_goodcall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 42 gallon tank and each of the middle sections are 5x5x3.5 inch each and the flow is 1200l/h but is adjustable, micro algae and pods was my initial thought, I’ve looked on YouTube and seen sumps on top of tanks as well as hang on refuges which made me think it could be possible but only starting in the hobby

Thanks for the fast response too!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes; I would cut out the divider between the 2 center sections and make that the refuge, and cut the skylight above that section. The flow rate is good and I think the size of that section will be fine to support a 42g.

OP
OP
Fosterz_goodcall

Fosterz_goodcall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes; I would cut out the divider between the 2 center sections and make that the refuge, and cut the skylight above that section. The flow rate is good and I think the size of that section will be fine to support a 42g.

Thanks for the help, I’ll definitely give it a go, can I keep carbon in first section? Before the refuge?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back