How and when to frag toadstool?

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I purchased this toadstool and it's been growing pretty well. Recently I noticed what appeared to be a new toadstool growing from the bottom and have left it to grow since then. Today, I noticed it seemed farther away from the base than normal and saw that it appears to have grown away from the base of the original toadstool (pic from about 5 minutes prior to posting). When should I plan on mounting this new growth onto a plug of its own? I also have a Duncan that has recently started to sprout another stalk from near the head so I assume it's going to need to be fragged soon too.

20211021_173444.jpg

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. If it were me, I would take the rack out with the anemone but leave the corals in the tank for a minute if thats possible. Then I would go scrape the anemone off and discard it, then clean the rack with some peroxide and rinse it off. Someone else may know a better way, but best to do it outside the tank if you can.

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. I would take the rack out with the anemone but leave the corals in the tank for a minute if thats possible. Then I personally would go scrape it off and discard it, then clean the rack with some peroxide and rinse it off. Someone else may know a better way, but best to do it outside the tank if you can.
That's going to be fun to try but we can see how it goes. That's the main rack in my 10g so I can try to drop another rack in temporarily while I clean that one up. Would the corals be ok on the sand for a few minutes while I clean it?

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's going to be fun to try but we can see how it goes. That's the main rack in my 10g so I can try to drop another rack in temporarily while I clean that one up. Would the corals be ok on the sand for a few minutes while I clean it?
Your toadstool will be fine in the sand bed. Take that frag rack out and get rid of the aptasia asap.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what else you got in there but i would think they would be fine for a minute. If you have another frag rack use that if you can.

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your toadstool will be fine in the sand bed. Take that frag rack out and get rid of the aptasia asap.
Done! I scrubbed both racks with peroxide and then rinsed with hot freshwater. Here's a pic of what I see growing on the Duncan as well...

Attachments

• 20211021_183042.jpg
    20211021_183042.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually able to rest everything other than the Duncan on the rockwork while I cleaned both racks. These are the only other pieces in the tank besides the previously posted toadstool and Duncan.

Attachments

• 20211021_183431.jpg
    20211021_183431.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20211021_183424.jpg
    20211021_183424.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 36

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yea if you had one there sure to be others hiding. Just keep a look out and if you see one where you can't get the rock work or the coral out just treat it with aptaisa X and you should be good.
Good luck

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Duncan that has recently started to sprout another stalk from near the head so I assume it's going to need to be fragged soon too.

Just wanted to say you certainly do not need to frag it at all....ever. at some point you may want to, but it will take awhile before that head has enough separation from the other to safely frag it. Personally i eould not frag it at all even then. Give it a couple years and have a nice bushy 30 head duncan then maybe frag though ones on bottom being crowded out :)

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say you certainly do not need to frag it at all....ever. at some point you may want to, but it will take awhile before that head has enough separation from the other to safely frag it. Personally i eould not frag it at all even then. Give it a couple years and have a nice bushy 30 head duncan then maybe frag though ones on bottom being crowded out :)
Now you actually have me curious to see how that would look. Might not push it to 30 heads but we'll see how far we can go. I have a tank upgrade in the works that should help give everything more room to grow out.
Yea if you had one there sure to be others hiding. Just keep a look out and if you see one where you can't get the rock work or the coral out just treat it with aptaisa X and you should be good.
Good luck
Good to know. I'll have to pick some up to have on hand for when the need arises.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back