How big of a tank is too big for a beginner?

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am excited to join this forums after lurking and reading for months. I apologize if this is a repetitive question, but I didn't really the exact answer I want. Also I want to pick the brains of seasoned reefers to steer me in the right direction.

Here's my dilemma. Read a lot about avoiding smaller tanks and issues with unstable water parameters. Also I don't want to repeat my mistake of the fresh water hobby, I started with a 10 gallon and wanted to upgrade like a month after. So for the salt water tank I don't wanna spend the money on like 3 sizes of tanks and upgrading the equipment over and over again. Buying the best option right now will be cheaper than buying 2-3 variations of equipment down the line. I am gonna skip to the larger size first. Does that make sense? I agree with most people here on the consensus on starting with the biggest tank possible.

BUT! I am arguing with my self. I wanted to start big (when I mean big I mean like 100+ gallons) but I was hesitant here's why:

1- I am afraid of starting something too big for my skill level and becoming overwhelmed with the amount of maintenance and difficulty. My background comes from freshwater planted tanks which their maintenance is extremely simple compared to reefing. I've read times and times how the reefing hobby can be notoriously difficult sometimes and I don't want to overwhelm my self. Just watching the BRS reefing for beginners there was ALOT of information to take in.

2- Financial reasons, let me preface this explanation by saying that I won't get into this hobby if I can't afford it. Although I still feel nervous starting a big tank with TONS of corals, I mean how many corals do I need to fill a 120 gallon tank? A simple beginner mistake will cost me quite a bit, and that's what scaring me about the hobby. I heard stories about tanks crashing and folks losing thousands worth of corals and hard work by people with years of experience. I feel like I wanna mess around and do mistakes in a smaller tank so I can gain confidence and most importantly understanding on whats happening in a reef tank by actual hands on experience.

3- Moving? I am not planning on moving anytime soon , but you don't know where life takes you. I feel like setting up and big tank is like a 5 year commitment minimum. It would feel really bad having to sell everything after a year or so with a definite loss. I would feel more comfortable being able to sell a smaller tank if I was forced, not that I am planning on it.

But still after all this I feel itching to start a big tank.. I am confused what do you guys think? Take it slow and practice with a smaller tank as my first reef tank without the long term commitment, money, and effort-wise and upgrade later? or just build the dream big tank currently and build on the final vision right now? I asked this question some months ago to my self I decided I want a larger size tank (100 gallons to 200 gallons.) So I said Ill just wait for the right time for this project, but now I am thinking, Why am I limiting my self to no tank at all or big tank, I could start something small (like a 40 gallon breeder) and gain tremendous amounts of experience for the later big dream tank.

Sorry this post is an extreme example of my overthinking..

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you're thinking about this a little backwards.

Your questions are all posed as if this tank will be fully stocked and running on day one.

Start with as big of a tank as your budget and space allows. Size = stability. Nano tanks seem like the best beginner tanks, but in reality they're much more difficult to keep stable. Every change you make to a small tank is amplified because of the small water volume. Put a drop of food coloring into a drinking glass, or put one into a swimming pool. Which makes a bigger difference?

You aren't stocking the tank on day 1. You don't need to have all the best equipment on day 1. You don't need reactors and skimmers et al until the need arises. Go big, build slow.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g breeder is the perfect size to start off with IMO.

If bigger is your goal, depending on what fish you want to keep, a 90 cube is just about right too.
I agree that is a great size to start. Enough water to be more stable than a nano, small enough to perform large w/c if needed to “reset” chemistry and far less expensive to outfit.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with a 40 breeder as a start. Less expensive to get started and will give you time to become more comfortable with our whacky world as you watch the tank mature.
If that's not enough a 75gal is a sort of intermediate tank size. Bigger than 40 but smaller than the big boy world of 100+gal. It will require more expense with the start up though.
Sounds very exciting, keep us all posted!

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is very subjective and answers to this point agree that small is not the way to go, and I couldn't agree more.

For me, a standard size RR 75 is kind of the sweet spot. Enough room to grow into, yet not so big as to incur huge price increases for rock, equipment, etc.

Just my .02

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40-90 gallon tanks are going to be the easiest while not costing a ludicrous amount. 20 gallon long tanks are my favorite for nano reefs but you are limited on space and fish and things can get a bit crowded rather quickly.

Most of it comes down to a balance between size and budget. I love my 40 gallon and my current favorite is my up and running 75.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with with them that a 75g is good start however as I started my first SW tank as a 75g within a year I wanted them 120 just because of the fish and corals I wanted inside my 75. IMO if you can afford it I would rock the 120 it is IMO the largest a newbie should start with and big enough there’s not much you can want within the 5 year mark that will be out of reach, keep in mind this tank and inhabitants will grow over time man, small frags over year/years turn into the colony’s we live to see. Also I bought NEW everything when I jumped in there’s so much you can find used on CL or R2R you can find a bunch and save some money in that regard.

as for moving hopefully you don’t wind up moving but people move tanks I had a buddy who moved a 250g across Florida and didn’t loss anything except some snails. Moving a tank sucks but buckets of livestock and trash cans with reef/aquascapes and pumps it’s entirely possible

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
I feel you're thinking about this a little backwards.

Your questions are all posed as if this tank will be fully stocked and running on day one.

Start with as big of a tank as your budget and space allows. Size = stability. Nano tanks seem like the best beginner tanks, but in reality they're much more difficult to keep stable. Every change you make to a small tank is amplified because of the small water volume. Put a drop of food coloring into a drinking glass, or put one into a swimming pool. Which makes a bigger difference?

You aren't stocking the tank on day 1. You don't need to have all the best equipment on day 1. You don't need reactors and skimmers et al until the need arises. Go big, build slow.

Yeah what put me down the most was the complications and the cost of all those equipment for the bigger tanks, protein skimmers, rollers, reactors, UV sterilizers, and high tech dosing systems, ATO and water change systems. I mean I do wanna get to familiarize my self with them, but frankly I have no idea if I "need" this piece of equipment or not. I realized something that is obvious around here, but everyone does their tank somewhat differently. Everyone has their own way of doing things even down to needing certain pieces of equipment or not.

So you are saying just go big and upgrade as I go?

yeah you bring a very valid point, I dont even wanna stock in day 1 or month 1 even If wanted. I wanna take it slow and get to understand the basics a bit.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what put me down the most was the complications and the cost of all those equipment for the bigger tanks, protein skimmers, rollers, reactors, UV sterilizers, and high tech dosing systems, ATO and water change systems. I mean I do wanna get to familiarize my self with them, but frankly I have no idea if I "need" this piece of equipment or not. I realized something that is obvious around here, but everyone does their tank somewhat differently. Everyone has their own way of doing things even down to needing certain pieces of equipment or not.

So you are saying just go big and upgrade as I go?

yeah you bring a very valid point, I dont even wanna stock in day 1 or month 1 even If wanted. I wanna take it slow and get to understand the basics a bit.
Yeah definitely grow with it man, (you only NEED a few things) pumps, heater, aquascape, water, you can start a fugue a month or two down the road, if you don’t want to use filter socks think of a roller mat set up now before you buy your sump, (or make a diy sump) petco should have there dollar per gallon deal next month. You don’t need a UV but if you want to add one down the road you can

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know you and you already want to go big, 100 to 120 gallons is a great size.

The major difference up front is going to be the cost of live rock between that and a 40 gallon.

120's have been around forever and there are a bunch of great designs, as well as having the opportunity. Probably to pick up a used one at a great deal.

Don't think about stalking, your reef tank up front with all the coral you'll ever want. That's a fools game as your tastes will probably change every 6 months and want to try something you haven't.

4 ft 120 gives you the opportunity for a lot of different fish combinations as well as the ability to have multiple flow levels and light levels.

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
40g breeder is the perfect size to start off with IMO.

If bigger is your goal, depending on what fish you want to keep, a 90 cube is just about right too.

I agree that is a great size to start. Enough water to be more stable than a nano, small enough to perform large w/c if needed to “reset” chemistry and far less expensive to outfit.

I agree with a 40 breeder as a start. Less expensive to get started and will give you time to become more comfortable with our whacky world as you watch the tank mature.
If that's not enough a 75gal is a sort of intermediate tank size. Bigger than 40 but smaller than the big boy world of 100+gal. It will require more expense with the start up though.
Sounds very exciting, keep us all posted!

Yeah it seems like the 40 gallon breeder is the minimum smallest tank for a beginner and a good enough size too, I definitely don't want to get into nano tanks, not yet at least. I really seem to be liking all the tank sizes between 40-75 gallons, big enough yet the wallet doesn't hurt that much. I am just getting into Reef2reef and I love the wealth of information I can find on here. I can see an example of almost every tank size imaginable!

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
I would agree with with them that a 75g is good start however as I started my first SW tank as a 75g within a year I wanted them 120 just because of the fish and corals I wanted inside my 75. IMO if you can afford it I would rock the 120 it is IMO the largest a newbie should start with and big enough there’s not much you can want within the 5 year mark that will be out of reach, keep in mind this tank and inhabitants will grow over time man, small frags over year/years turn into the colony’s we live to see. Also I bought NEW everything when I jumped in there’s so much you can find used on CL or R2R you can find a bunch and save some money in that regard.

as for moving hopefully you don’t wind up moving but people move tanks I had a buddy who moved a 250g across Florida and didn’t loss anything except some snails. Moving a tank sucks but buckets of livestock and trash cans with reef/aquascapes and pumps it’s entirely possible
I love how the thirst of getting bigger and bigger tanks never quenches in aquarists. I never understood that until I got into freshwater. I instantly was like next one is definitely gonna be BIGGER.

For the price of equipment and corals I wish I lived in the states in order to get the used stuff. I can still order equipment but not corals or fish. Though interestingly my local reef shop pricing is very funny. Almost all corals have a fixed price of like $50, doesnt matter what type SPS or some zoas. Sometimes he evens goes lowers and clears everything for extremely cheap. Not everthing is priced fair which is sometimes good for me and sometimes not. But I really need to learn proper dipping and pest inspection or even think in investing in quarantine tank. Because I am not really sure of the quality of corals and fish are pest and disease free.

Wow moving a 250 gallon tank without losing anything is a major win! So your saying its totally possible even If I was forced to move.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As large a tank as the person can afford. Just do a lot of reading and questions before pressing go.

go.PNG

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A financial thing to consider: If you’re in the US a 75 gallon framed tank will only set you back about $125 if you wait until one of Petco’s quarterly sales. The 125 is the next meaningful step up for a 6’ long tank and will cost something like $500-600 and aren’t in regular sales.

/The tanks in between 75 and 125 are taller and wider (front to back) versions of the 75 that offer limited extra versatility and viewing vs the 75 but are gonna be tougher to access for maintenance.

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
40-90 gallon tanks are going to be the easiest while not costing a ludicrous amount. 20 gallon long tanks are my favorite for nano reefs but you are limited on space and fish and things can get a bit crowded rather quickly.

Most of it comes down to a balance between size and budget. I love my 40 gallon and my current favorite is my up and running 75.
Just of curiosity; do you have the 75 gallon and the 40 running at the same time? If so hows the maintenance on running two tanks at once, I have no frame of reference I am just intrigued. If not then what can you use the empty 40 after you upgrade? Silly question but is a hospital tank running is recommended in this hobby?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my friends IM 40. Great size, low maintenance. If you like bigger that’s cool, but after going down that road I consider downsizing the upgrade! Have decide that personally what you like. I won’t set up a tank over 4’ long, just not for me. Sold my old tanks to upgrade to smaller ones.

check out his sps colonies and clams

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Tank size is very subjective and answers to this point agree that small is not the way to go, and I couldn't agree more.

For me, a standard size RR 75 is kind of the sweet spot. Enough room to grow into, yet not so big as to incur huge price increases for rock, equipment, etc.

Just my .02

I wouldn't go bigger than 75 gal if you're a beginner.

That will stretch you plenty, in terms of setup cost and maintenance time.

I just need decide if I am gonna get something closer to a 75 gallons or 40 gallons. I am seeing most people here agree between 40 and 75 is the perfect range for beginners. Funny thing is that a small voice whispers in my mind and tells 80 gallon isn't that much bigger than 100 gallons just take the step above...

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Here is my friends IM 40. Great size, low maintenance. If you like bigger that’s cool, but after going down that road I consider downsizing the upgrade! Have decide that personally what you like. I won’t set up a tank over 4’ long, just not for me. Sold my old tanks to upgrade to smaller ones.

check out his sps colonies and clams

Wow pictures are stunning, the detail and the colors are top notch. I really need to get back into my photography game for this tank. Thanks gonna read up the whole thread tonight. I love the variety of corals in the size of the 40 gallons. Seems plentiful to keep me busy.

edit: Interesting this is a viewpoint I don't see a lot tbh and I am really curious. Why do you think the bigger tanks weren't for you if I may ask?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back