How big of a tank is too big for a beginner?

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions part of this caught my eye because obviously I need to finalize them before building a stand.

I'm looking at getting started soon and a nearby LFS kinda convinced me to order a sale priced 65g reef-ready. They said it should be in within a week...it's now been three...not sure exactly what's going on or if I should even bother following up because the dimensions give me pause and honestly it wasn't the most welcoming interaction in the place to begin with.

I'm concerned because 65 is a taller version of a 40B and from what I'm reading I can't tell how taller would be any better, aside from the added water volume. Also 65 is not a size I really see discussed...conversation seems to usually center on 40B, 55, 75, 90 and 120.

I know I do want to go with pre-drilled...just some fear of choosing the wrong size to start out in the hobby.
I would avoid the 65. The main issue is the height to width ratio. With it being 24" tall and 18" wide, it makes aquascaping more challenging. You will end up with either a scape that looks too short for the tank, or just a big pile of rock staked up against the back wall in order to get it tall enough to look ok. Also makes it a little harder to light if you want SPS.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions part of this caught my eye because obviously I need to finalize them before building a stand.

I'm looking at getting started soon and a nearby LFS kinda convinced me to order a sale priced 65g reef-ready. They said it should be in within a week...it's now been three...not sure exactly what's going on or if I should even bother following up because the dimensions give me pause and honestly it wasn't the most welcoming interaction in the place to begin with.

I'm concerned because 65 is a taller version of a 40B and from what I'm reading I can't tell how taller would be any better, aside from the added water volume. Also 65 is not a size I really see discussed...conversation seems to usually center on 40B, 55, 75, 90 and 120.

I know I do want to go with pre-drilled...just some fear of choosing the wrong size to start out in the hobby.
If you need pre-drilled, you may need to go with a more "name brand" tank (IM, FiJi, Red Sea, etc.) You could also see if the 58 gallon reef ready is still available. It is right in-between a 40b and 65 height wise, but on a 36x18 tank, the internal overflow box is going to take up a ton of room.
Another option could be to talk to a good LFS about drilling a standard 40b or 75 for you and silicon-ing in an overflow box.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend 120 gallon reef, ready tank, it’s the perfect size and the perfect beginner tank has the 24 inch depth that you will be looking for in the future

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my $0.02

start with 75 gallon. When you feel comfortable upgrade to a 125. Avoid the 90 gallon. Look for a reef ready (drilled) and don’t DO NOT go the overflow box route. It works but has the chance of destroying everything you hold so dear. Facebook marketplace I found a 125 with stand/sump/accessories for $200

also buy used live rock. People can’t give it away for free. Properly prepare it by bleaching and removing any lingering organics. BUY USED as much as you can, except for your “staple” purchases like a return pump, wave maker, lights (can go used here still), heater &controller. Don’t need an $800 new protein skimmer, cause you can find it on marketplace for $250 used.

75>>>>>>125

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my $0.02

start with 75 gallon. When you feel comfortable upgrade to a 125. Avoid the 90 gallon. Look for a reef ready (drilled) and don’t DO NOT go the overflow box route. It works but has the chance of destroying everything you hold so dear. Facebook marketplace I found a 125 with stand/sump/accessories for $200

also buy used live rock. People can’t give it away for free. Properly prepare it by bleaching and removing any lingering organics. BUY USED as much as you can, except for your “staple” purchases like a return pump, wave maker, lights (can go used here still), heater &controller. Don’t need an $800 new protein skimmer, cause you can find it on marketplace for $250 used.

75>>>>>>125
I should have said “used dry rock” - used live rock is a bit more expensive

spectral_ranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had everything from 5 gallon nano to a 120g reef over the past couple decades, and think like many here that a mid-size tank (50-75gal) is great to start with. Big enough to have a real sump and get used to working with overflows and all the equipment that goes down there, but not so big that inevitable headaches (aiptasia outbreaks, velvet, hair algae, etc.) become overwhelming or the massive problem they can be in very large systems. I have a Reefer 250 right now (~65 gallons) and still think it's a great size. Middle of the road on equipment and salt expenses, ease of maintenance, big enough to have the equipment I want in the sump, etc, etc.

dave01282000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I wanted to buy a pre-drilled 75, is the best route to order it through a (different) LFS or just order it online? Guessing the shipping would be free given the price of the tank. Or does it even matter?

Appreciate the help!
Dave

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a 120 and you’ll be happy for a long time! It will nickel and dime you to get up to that size if you don’t… the fish selection is much better… I went from a 60 to a 120 that never saw water to a 275 and now I’m happy :grinning-squinting-face:

dave01282000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies to the OP if I'm totally hijacking this thread! Obviously will cost a lot more in livestock for a 120 in the long run...but as far as just the initial setup, will the cost be a lot more than a 75?

YouTube would have you believe the maintenance isn't that much more as you go up in size, but always good to ask.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I wanted to buy a pre-drilled 75, is the best route to order it through a (different) LFS or just order it online? Guessing the shipping would be free given the price of the tank. Or does it even matter?

Appreciate the help!
Dave
Your best option to get a 75 is from Petco (they are currently on sale 50% off). You will have to drill it yourself though, or find someone to drill it for you. Learning to drill glass is part of the hobby and really shouldn't scare you away, its not hard, just requires patience. If you buy an external overflow kit (Eshopps, Fiji, etc.) they usually include everything you need to drill/install them (except for the drill). Look up the overflow install videos on youtube.

I agree that going to a 120 is a better overall size, but it adds significantly to the cost, and since this is your first tank, I would make sure you actually like the hobby before going all out.

The 75 with an external overflow you install yourself is a great way to get into the hobby. It will give you enough space to play around with aquascaping and not be too limiting on fish choice. Its shallow enough to easily light, and the 48x18" footprint is easy to generate proper flow with just a couple powerheads. Its enough volume to be fairly stable parameters wise but not so much that maintenance/feeding/stocking/equipment starts to get expensive. If you have more money, by all means go bigger, but its almost impossible to beat the 75 bang for the buck.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real question is how small is too small for a beginner.

I started out with a 55 and had a lot more problems than I had with 650 gallons of water volume.

You'll get a lot more leeway with a larger tank and not have to deal with sudden swings.

I went 55 (for less than a year) > 135 (never got wet) > 240 (never got wet) > 470 (had for years).

I feel I cut my teeth on the large tank.

dave01282000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best option to get a 75 is from Petco (they are currently on sale 50% off). You will have to drill it yourself though, or find someone to drill it for you. Learning to drill glass is part of the hobby and really shouldn't scare you away, its not hard, just requires patience. If you buy an external overflow kit (Eshopps, Fiji, etc.) they usually include everything you need to drill/install them (except for the drill). Look up the overflow install videos on youtube.

I agree that going to a 120 is a better overall size, but it adds significantly to the cost, and since this is your first tank, I would make sure you actually like the hobby before going all out.

The 75 with an external overflow you install yourself is a great way to get into the hobby. It will give you enough space to play around with aquascaping and not be too limiting on fish choice. Its shallow enough to easily light, and the 48x18" footprint is easy to generate proper flow with just a couple powerheads. Its enough volume to be fairly stable parameters wise but not so much that maintenance/feeding/stocking/equipment starts to get expensive. If you have more money, by all means go bigger, but its almost impossible to beat the 75 bang for the buck.
Backstory on why was looking for pre-drilled...I had gotten a Petco sale 40B intending to drill it myself and ended up having a bad experience at an LFS involving a condescending lecture telling me that Aqueon tanks are tempered glass and will shatter if drilled. Obviously I won't be going back to that LFS and I ended up returning said Petco tank.

That return is not all bad as I want to go bigger anyway, but there are many Youtube videos with people drilling tanks just fine so I'm wondering if they were just telling me that to get me to buy one of theirs. Not sure.

The thought was that I could skip the uncertainty with pre-drilled.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory on why was looking for pre-drilled...I had gotten a Petco sale 40B intending to drill it myself and ended up having a bad experience at an LFS involving a condescending lecture telling me that Aqueon tanks are tempered glass and will shatter if drilled. Obviously I won't be going back to that LFS and I ended up returning said Petco tank.

That return is not all bad as I want to go bigger anyway, but there are many Youtube videos with people drilling tanks just fine so I'm wondering if they were just telling me that to get me to buy one of theirs. Not sure.

The thought was that I could skip the uncertainty with pre-drilled.
Some of those aqueon tanks are tempered now from what i read the other day.. there’s been a shortage on glass so they’re using what they can find.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real question is how small is too small for a beginner.

I started out with a 55 and had a lot more problems than I had with 650 gallons of water volume.

You'll get a lot more leeway with a larger tank and not have to deal with sudden swings.

I went 55 (for less than a year) > 135 (never got wet) > 240 (never got wet) > 470 (had for years).

I feel I cut my teeth on the large tank.
The issue with the big tanks is cost.
Most people cant afford large systems that can easily cost in the tens of thousands of dollars. Or simple don't have the space.
Mistakes are also much more costly with larger systems. A tank crash on a 200+ gallon system is going to cost significantly more to fix/replace than a 40 or 75 crash, and beginners are much more likely to make the mistakes that lead to problems.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with the big tanks is cost.
Most people cant afford large systems that can easily cost in the tens of thousands of dollars. Or simple don't have the space.
Mistakes are also much more costly with larger systems. A tank crash on a 200+ gallon system is going to cost significantly more to fix/replace than a 40 or 75 crash, and beginners are much more likely to make the mistakes that lead to problems.
But on the other hand it’s much harder to crash a 200 than a 40… if you ever wanna be a pro have a successful 20-40 gallon Sps reef.. if you can handle that a 400 gallon tank is a walk in the park.. so much more forgiving!

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But on the other hand it’s much harder to crash a 200 than a 40… if you ever wanna be a pro have a successful 20-40 gallon Sps reef.. if you can handle that a 400 gallon tank is a walk in the park.. so much more forgiving!
That's true, but the issue still comes down to cost and space.

Imagine how many fewer people we would attract to the hobby if the consensus was all newbies need to start with a minimum 120 gallon tank.

A 20 gallon SPS reef is incredibly difficult, but a 20 gallon softie tank is not.
I'm not saying a 20 is the best place to start (see my posts above), but put yourself in the head of somebody completely new who thinks having a reef tank would be cool. Now tell them you need to spend $5-$10k, and 6'+ off wall space and potentially a couple hundred a month in maintenance/electricity/ food to get started, or tell them they can spend $500-$1000 and 3-4' of space to successfully get their feet wet and decide if they enjoy the hobby before upgrading/spending the big bucks.

Which scenario do you think would ultimately end up with more people in the hobby enjoying success?

Upgrading ultimately costs more money, but the goal here should be more people enjoying success in the hobby, not making the hobby easier for the few that can afford it. And the people who upgrade can sell their starter systems to others just starting out (or more likely keep it as a second system/ frag tank/etc).

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Bret, and I think there is some selection bias in this thread.

Tank upgrading is very common in this hobby. Because of this lots of people who are now committed to the hobby wish they initially went larger and as a result suggest going as big as possible to newbies. However, these same people are coming from a place where they've already had positive experiences in the hobby and they are willing to take the significant financial risk of going with a large tank.

If you are a new hobbiest and you go big immediately then find yourself drowning in a problem (e.g. aiptasia or dinos) the work and lost money could be soul-crushing to the point that you drop the hobby. I think it's a good idea to people to start with a smaller, "sandbox"-style set up to learn the ropes, make mistakes, and learn to fix those mistakes.

Many people think the tank size upgrading track means that they made a mistake and should've gone larger initially. However, I see this as a natural progession of the hobby that should be embraced and even suggested.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This exactly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back