How can I pony proof my powerhead?

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

So I am wondering how I can pony proof my powerhead. I need to keep some level of flow in the tank for them and some of my corals. However I have noticed that Seabiscuit, my brown and spiny one, likes to latch onto my powerhead from the back. I turn it off when she does this as I don't want her dying from getting stuck to it or having her tail cut off by the propeller. I noticed they like when it is turned on as they will climb higher on their hitching post and fully extend to meet the flow. I just don't want them to be hurt. There is nothing for them to get blown into, but I just am worried about the proximity to the sicce voyager 2000.

image_from_ios_720.jpg image_from_ios__2__720.jpg image_from_ios (1).jpg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps applying a mesh like material (think "tulle") would help with creating a mesh guard. Adhering it might be challenging, but this is something quick and off the cuff.

Another idea is to see if an ecotech vortech sleeve will stretch over and fit onto it? What about sicce, do they make anemone covers for this model? Perhaps another company does?

We also have a nifty 3d printed items category here. Maybe someone can fabricate something for you?

Else, investing into a different pump that does have the features you're seeking, but i'm sure this is a last resort.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps applying a mesh like material (think "tulle) would help with creating a mesh guard. Adhering it might be challenging, but this is something quick and off the cuff.

Another idea is to see if an ecotech vortech sleeve will stretch over and fit onto it? What about sicce, do they make anemone covers for this model? Perhaps another company does?

We also have a nifty 3d printed items category here. Maybe someone can fabricate something for you?

Else, investing into a different pump that does have the features you're seeking, but i'm sure this is a last resort.
I can take an old scooping net and pull of the mesh to wrap around it. Maybe that will help in the meantime?

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score!! Great ideas, great finds! Good job - lets see what you can come up with!
I used to work for a guy who owns and runs a metal shop here in town. He is going to help me make something like this. The sooner the better as my zoanthids and gorgonians need more flow.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came up with a solution. The thing is I can’t run the powerhead while they are feeding as the shrimp will just get stuck to it. But until I can make a better mesh. This small net and rubber band will serve well for slow. My gorgonians are certainly happy.

9ACC8BE9-95F8-47EA-BDC1-20CFB049BDF3.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back