How can I quiet my skimmer?

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, rookie reefer here. The flow out of my skimmer into the sump water is just too dang loud. Is there a way to quiet it? I’ve tried raising/lowering the level in the sump but that doesn’t seem to help much. If I hold my hand in front of the outflow (partially blocking it) it seems to lessen the sound. Is there a diverter out there (diy or otherwise) that I can try? Can I drop the skimmer outlet below the sump level? The tank (still cycling) is in my bedroom and I haven’t gotten a decent nights sleep since I started it up 2 weeks ago. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post a pic?
Sure...

7EABBA69-7F63-4B74-925C-FAD77780B0BD.png 3547451C-804A-40B7-BFF8-467502296B55.png

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a 45 degree and point the output away from the pump intake.
Or try something as pictured here add a small hole for air intake on the top.

octopuss-vent.jpg

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a 45 degree and point the output away from the pump intake.
Or try something as pictured here add a small hole for air intake on the top.

octopuss-vent.jpg
While I’m sure that’s sound advice (and I’ll try both options. THANK YOU) as an ignorant newb, why would adding an air hole or pointing a 45 away from the intake make a difference? The skimmer outlet is only 1/4 submerged in the sump and so should already have plenty of air to breathe. And pointing it away from the pump intake won’t change the flow and lessen the water turbulence causing the sound. Will it?

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty this is not a skimmer I would run in my bedroom, despite any mods you might make to it. It is however a really good skimmer. Is it possible for you to return it?

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty this is not a skimmer I would run in my bedroom, despite any mods you might make to it. It is however a really good skimmer. Is it possible for you to return it?
I can’t imagine I could return it. It’s been in the tank for 2 weeks and theres nothing wrong with it. Are there quieter brands or models? I researched skimmers pretty thoroughly before I bought one and I didn’t see any comments about this particular model being louder than others.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m sure that’s sound advice (and I’ll try both options. THANK YOU) as an ignorant newb, why would adding an air hole or pointing a 45 away from the intake make a difference? The skimmer outlet is only 1/4 submerged in the sump and so should already have plenty of air to breathe. And pointing it away from the pump intake won’t change the flow and lessen the water turbulence causing the sound. Will it?

Reef octopus is a great skimmer that sucks a lot of air. Coldpceanreef posted the best solution for the output noise mostly any skimmer makes. The other biggest noise maker is the air intake. If you could run the air intake from outside that would quiet it down a bunch

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus is a great skimmer that sucks a lot of air. Coldpceanreef posted the best solution for the output noise mostly any skimmer makes. The other biggest noise maker is the air intake. If you could run the air intake from outside that would quiet it down a bunch
Yeah I’m gonna try both his suggestions. At this point I’d try standing on one foot and rubbing my belly if I thought it would get me a good nights sleep LOL

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • D/C

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Both

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 3 16.7%
Back