How can I trap a goby?

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a golden head goby a few weeks ago and he's got to go.

I had no idea the impending dust storm he would create.

I want to catch him and trade him in at the lfs.

So with that said, how the heck can i catch this fast little guy without destroying everything?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good one. Maybe some sort of partition with egg crate. To corner this offending fish. less rock & such to move? Maybe a fish trap . I have had pretty good luck using one.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good one. Maybe some sort of partition with egg crate. To corner this offending fish. less rock & such to move? Maybe a fish trap . I have had pretty good luck using one.
What kind of fish trap?

My tank will be so much more peaceful without this jerk.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a trap is an acrylic box trap with a door & trip of sorts. smaller ones are a tube larger, a box .There are more than several types & styles. Google pics will answer your question .

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a trap out of a water bottle and threw a chunk of frozen brine shrimp in. And now we wait. I'll probably catch everybody every the goby.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to find out where he sleeps at night and get your net, I used a red one due to difficulties for them to see at night, in a position where you believe he'll go when startled. Take a plastic rod or something small enough to move him with and nudge him so he'll leave his spot. This will require 2 people to perform. It was the only way to get my goby out of my tank.;)

BrandonM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him time to adjust. I have a golden head and the first few weeks were disturbing to me, due to the dust storms he created . but once he found his spot. I havent had any dust for 4 months

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him time to adjust. I have a golden head and the first few weeks were disturbing to me, due to the dust storms he created . but once he found his spot. I havent had any dust for 4 months
even if he settles down, I don't think I'll ever be able to keep sps on the sand bed. I'd rather just trade him for something more peaceful.

I have a trap setup just outside his sleeping hole. I already caught my wrasse and a skunk shrimp in there. The goby is outsmarting me.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a flat, 4-6" piece of rock. Put in the front middle of your tank, where there is plenty of sand space. Then fill in his current burrow. He will make a new one under the flat rock after his current burrow gets filled in a few times. Once he is under the new rock, take two 8+" fish nets, one on each side, and scoop up his new home, rock and sand and all.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no luck. I'm gonna try some different ideas.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta tell us how!
Coke bottle trap right outside his hole filled with a frozen chunk of brine shrimp.

After I caught my gramma 3 times, I was about to throw in the towel. Chucked it in one last time and went to take a shower. Came back through the house and watched him swim in right as I walked into the living room.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back