How do you feed a cleaner shrimp?

RedPhotog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've never had a cleaner shrimp before a couple of months ago, and this little dude is awesome! He is super active and friendly, not shy at all, and will perch in my hand. I am noticing the little guy is having a hard time eating when I feed the tank. I cant help to think hes hungry, he actively scurries around trying to find anything that drops. The fish obviously have no problem, but the shrimp has a hard time maneuvering throughout the water column catching piece of mysis or pellet. Ive been hand feeding him flakes and frozen foods, because that is the only way he is able to really catch anything.

Is this really necessary? Do I have to look at feeding my shrimp like how I feed my fish, or does a cleaner shrimp get its food within the rocks and sand like other inverts. Because this dude has such a active personality, he hangs out with my clownfish all day, hes like a fish with tentacles and claws. Coolest thing in my tank, I just want to make sure hes fed. I really dont like putting my hand in my tank every time I feed. Thanks in advance!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've never had a cleaner shrimp before a couple of months ago, and this little dude is awesome! He is super active and friendly, not shy at all, and will perch in my hand. I am noticing the little guy is having a hard time eating when I feed the tank. I cant help to think hes hungry, he actively scurries around trying to find anything that drops. The fish obviously have no problem, but the shrimp has a hard time maneuvering throughout the water column catching piece of mysis or pellet. Ive been hand feeding him flakes and frozen foods, because that is the only way he is able to really catch anything.

Is this really necessary? Do I have to look at feeding my shrimp like how I feed my fish, or does a cleaner shrimp get its food within the rocks and sand like other inverts. Because this dude has such a active personality, he hangs out with my clownfish all day, hes like a fish with tentacles and claws. Coolest thing in my tank, I just want to make sure hes fed. I really dont like putting my hand in my tank every time I feed. Thanks in advance!
I assume he also "steals" food from your corals? Unfortunately that is how I end up feeding my clearner and fire shrimp.

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said he will eat what he can grab and clean up leftovers. When feeding corals I usually bomb mine with some pellets to keep him occupied otherwise he will do what he can to get his piece of the pie. I've seen him nose dive into one of my torches, annoy my goniopora, and rip food out of my acans mouths. The only time I feed him directly is just to distract him from the corals.

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my shrimp with a pipette. It is also how I make sure my less aggressive feeders get their fair share of food.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never even considered this, but I turn my flow off to feed. I float some flakes on the surface, the fish and shrimp have no problems eating what they want and then the leftovers gets sucked into the overflow. But before I turn the flow back on I drop pellets in slowly and methodically so the fish can get full (my shrimp eats them too) then i make sure some hits the bottom for my crabs to find. I also supplement mysis feeding regularly.

spoiler alert: your shrimp will give free cleaning services to your coral, whether they want it or not! (My Goni must really loathe my shrimp at this point)

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you feed from one corner of the tank or broadcast feed across the length of the tank? that may help also.

OP
OP
RedPhotog

RedPhotog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I guess I was concerned from his intense feeding behavior that he may be hungry or struggling to find food, but it sounds like this is just how they behave. Wired little buggers no?

OP
OP
RedPhotog

RedPhotog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you feed from one corner of the tank or broadcast feed across the length of the tank? that may help also.

I usually will feed several spots so that it keeps the other fish distracted. If I feed in one spot my clown will eat everything up before it even touches the sand. I feed once a day very carefully, not running a skimmer or GFO etc, just carbon and filter floss.

I need a good pair tweezers to keep my hands out of the tank. Tanks is 18 inches high, trying to find something that long with precision control is difficult.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back