How do you ground your RODI?

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I learned some basic physics the hard way today, when you rub two insulators together, you can build a static charge. I learned this by touching the water surface of my trash can I'm filling with RODI. how do you guys mitigate or eliminate this charge build up? or do you just suck it up and deal with getting shocked?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got shock in by that. But about shock by static electricity, actually the part that hurt you is not the current of the discharge, but the arc generated at the point of contact that burn you skin. So if you use something conductive to touch the water first, it will release the charge but not burn you. A tong will work here.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the bucket empty or full?

Once its full, the water should absorb a lot of charge that would build up.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got shock in by that. But about shock by static electricity, actually the part that hurt you is not the current of the discharge, but the arc generated at the point of contact that burn you skin. So if you use something conductive to touch the water first, it will release the charge but not burn you. A tong will work here.
I will keep this in mind XD. the problem is I probably won't think about it until it's already too late

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's about half full but its the water that shocked me XD
Wow, that's a lot of charge building up. Are you sure its not a pump or heater in there that's gone defective?

I had a pump go bad a couple months ago and give me a good shock when I touched the water (which is also a lesson in replacing your GFCI, since the dang thing never tripped).

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a lot of charge building up. Are you sure its not a pump or heater in there that's gone defective?

I had a pump go bad a couple months ago and give me a good shock when I touched the water (which is also a lesson in replacing your GFCI, since the dang thing never tripped).
There is no electrical components in the system at all. no heaters no pumps no powerheads. I have the RODI hooked to the bathroom sink going straight into the bucket with nothing but the water in it. definitely static.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no electrical components in the system at all. no heaters no pumps no powerheads. I have the RODI hooked to the bathroom sink going straight into the bucket with nothing but the water in it. definitely static.
That's wild. Giant watery capacitor.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I learned some basic physics the hard way today, when you rub two insulators together, you can build a static charge. I learned this by touching the water surface of my trash can I'm filling with RODI. how do you guys mitigate or eliminate this charge build up? or do you just suck it up and deal with getting shocked?

Just curious. Does your water run down the side of the container as it is made?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your home wiring grounded to your water pipes?

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my first though here - that the house is grounded to the pipes and something is causing the ground to float.

I really doubt its static if its the surface of the water shocking you.
It's definitely static, otherwise it wouldn't shock me once and be done for a while

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back