How do you QT Mandarin Dragonet?

leilanastasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if anyone has tips about how to quarantine dragonets. I am in a fallow period right now and will be for awhile but once I am out of the fallow period, I will be purchasing two dragonets. Ruby red and a Spotted Mandarin. I have a great quarantine system up and running right now, but I hear it’s hard to QT dragonets. How would I be able to keep my dragonets fed and happy in the QT for hopefully the full 30 days if that is possible for the dragonet species. Thanks guys!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if anyone has tips about how to quarantine dragonets. I am in a fallow period right now and will be for awhile but once I am out of the fallow period, I will be purchasing two dragonets. Ruby red and a Spotted Mandarin. I have a great quarantine system up and running right now, but I hear it’s hard to QT dragonets. How would I be able to keep my dragonets fed and happy in the QT for hopefully the full 30 days if that is possible for the dragonet species. Thanks guys!
I just went fallow and have a Mandarin under copper.

For the first few days he wasn't eating well despite me dosing pods to the tank and was clearly losing weight. I don't have any non-absorbing sand so I created a little breeding area using an acrylic fish trap and mesh netting. I've use the turkey baster to spray ponds in to the container a few times but in the past week and a half no need. He hunts around the outside constantly.

I don't know if it's circumstantial or not but he also has started picking up some brine shrimp that fall to the bottom during normal fish feeding.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would need somewhere for the pods to reproduce and hide. .
But no rocks being a qt you don’t want to expose rocks to copper .

dose pods regularly , even can dose phytoplankton to feed the pods .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the circumstances why you went fallow to begin with .
but instead of qt a fish that’s pretty hard to quarantine .
try to establish the dt and finish the fallow time period
IMO a dragonette would be much later down the road

OP
OP
leilanastasia

leilanastasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went fallow and have a Mandarin under copper.

For the first few days he wasn't eating well despite me dosing pods to the tank and was clearly losing weight. I don't have any non-absorbing sand so I created a little breeding area using an acrylic fish trap and mesh netting. I've use the turkey baster to spray ponds in to the container a few times but in the past week and a half no need. He hunts around the outside constantly.

I don't know if it's circumstantial or not but he also has started picking up some brine shrimp that fall to the bottom during normal fish feeding.
Super helpful! Should I use coppersafe or cupramine? I also have paraguard which is a lot less aggressive. Which of these would you personally use for dragonet QT? Good to know copper is good with the dragonets.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super helpful! Should I use coppersafe or cupramine? I also have paraguard which is a lot less aggressive. Which of these would you personally use for dragonet QT? Good to know copper is good with the dragonets.
I am not qualified to answer which one is better but I am using Cupramine at .5 with two air stones in the hospital tank

I have heard they are sensitive to copper. Mine is doing well. Ymmv.

OP
OP
leilanastasia

leilanastasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the circumstances why you went fallow to begin with .
but instead of qt a fish that’s pretty hard to quarantine .
try to establish the dt and finish the fallow time period
IMO a dragonette would be much later down the road
I went fallow due to a parasite outbreak after not qt a fish.. my biggest mistake ever!! I had a dragonet for awhile and it was doing great until my outbreak. I definitely don't want to introduce parasites again. My display tank is very very mature, coralline spreading like crazy, amphipod, munnid isopod and copepod populations booming. Just want to make sure when I bring another dragonet home, this time in a quarantine tank, it'll be happy until it can eventually migrate into the display. Should I make a feeding station special for the QT tank where I can dose pods and bbs?

OP
OP
leilanastasia

leilanastasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sabina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d buy tank raised and skip the QT. They are possible but hard to QT.

Tank Raise Mandarin Dragonet! Buying fish for the family...OK just me

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend tank transfer or tank raised. Pacific east aquaculture keeps their tank raised fish always separate so it is unlikely they would be sick.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Updates to my prior.

Back