How do you size T5 bulbs?

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked all over the web and asked a couple of LFS but no one seems to have a formula on how to size the T5 bulbs... I understand that every tank has different requirements and everyone has different tastes but there has to be some sort of formula to determine the PAR range of a specific T5 bulb combo over varied depths with the size of the tank. I'm not a light guru but this cannot be so hard to do by the manufactures....

So I would like to ask your opinion on my plan for lighting this reef.

2x True Actinic (39w) 12:00 - 21:00
2x Coral Plus (39w) 13:00 - 20:00
2x Blue Plus (39w) 13:30 - 19:30
2x AquaBlue Special (39w) 14:00 - 19:00
Daily Power Consumption: ±2100w

Tank: 2.2m(l) x 0.5m(d) x 0.6m(h) = 86.6" long x 19.6" wide x 23.6" high
Tank has black background and black sides
Light mounting: ± 4" above water level
Would like to have: SPS(±40%), LPS(±50%), Softies(±10%)
I'm mainly looking to keep: Montipora, Bird's nest, assortment of LPS mainly torches, flower pots, long tentacle plates and a couple of leathers

As per personal preference I would like something that looks as close to natural light as possible with a very subtle hint of blue. The natural look is just amazing in my opinion, I personally really don't like tanks that focus on a lot of blues it feels way too man made in my opinion. The subtle hint of blue is nice though as it does make the whole tank look that much crisper.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would scratch the AB and add one coral plus and Blue + and that should give you the perfect color combo. Or even better a purple plus and blue plus in place of the 2 Aqua Blue would be my choice you get great color and par.

OP
OP
Dylan Grech

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would scratch the AB and add one coral plus and Blue + and that should give you the perfect color combo. Or even better a purple plus and blue plus in place of the 2 Aqua Blue would be my choice you get great color and par.

Thanks for your reply but I need to keep everything in pairs as these will be mounted in 2 equal grids of 4x1 so if 1 grid is not like the other 1 side of the tank will look slightly different than the other than my OCD will just drive me crazy hehehehe

I do like the idea of swapping the AB for Purple+ though I will definitely consider that :)

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for the natural look which I love myself I would skip t5's aand go with metal halide.
but if your already invested in t5 I world do 4c+2b+1abs1p+

I run 4x ati fixtures over my reef all with different bulb combos if I remember tomorrow I will take pics of each setup for you to compare one of the fixtures is very similar to the spectrum your looking at

OP
OP
Dylan Grech

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for the natural look which I love myself I would skip t5's aand go with metal halide.
but if your already invested in t5 I world do 4c+2b+1abs1p+

I run 4x ati fixtures over my reef all with different bulb combos if I remember tomorrow I will take pics of each setup for you to compare one of the fixtures is very similar to the spectrum your looking at

I'm not invested in anything yet but MH is just too expensive to run here. I would be looking at €2($3) daily just in lights and they produce too much heat. The temperature here is usually 90F+ March-November so with MH I would also need a chiller which adds even more to running costs.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there are a limited number of phosphors to make fluorescent lights, perhaps this old article will give some insight.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/review
A comparison of spectral quality should suggest similarities among lamp brands.

OP
OP
Dylan Grech

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO & IME, in general as a rough est , a t5 tube with a quaity fixture will produce approxamtly 150 to 180 par at 12in measured in air towards the center of the fixture.

I use 200 as an easy math and reduce it by approx 30%. I.e. A two tube fixture is approx (400 est) and 325ish par at 12in etc.

The color choice naturally effects the spectral peaks of that par reading.

OP
OP
Dylan Grech

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO & IME, in general as a rough est , a t5 tube with a quaity fixture will produce approxamtly 150 to 180 par at 12in measured in air towards the center of the fixture.

I use 200 as an easy math and reduce it by approx 30%. I.e. A two tube fixture is approx (400 est) and 325ish par at 12in etc.

The color choice naturally effects the spectral peaks of that par reading.

Excellent! With your math the 8x39w will be ample to grow montipora and bird's nest. The other corals was not really worried light wise now its just a matter of ironing out the combo to my liking and we're golden :D:D

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! With your math the 8x39w will be ample to grow montipora and bird's nest. The other corals was not really worried light wise now its just a matter of ironing out the combo to my liking and we're golden :D:D
Probaly more than enough actually. Watch your overall time , and keep in mind t5 have a faster fall off than leds(no lens to project)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back