How do you Vacuum seal corals?

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never done it and I was wondering how to?

Can you just use any vacuum sealer?

What size bag works best?

Is there any tips or tricks?

I searched as much as I could but could not find any relative information on this. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated mas

Thanks
-Dan

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by vacuum seal? Do you mean just heat sealing the coral in a bag with water?

Yes like when you receive new corals from vendors? What do you need to do this? I may be misinformed but I thought it was vacuum sealing

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bags that are 5 x 11 but bought a heat press off amazon. So that way you can choose what size you want. Never heard of vacuum sealing. I hope that helps!!;)

EC24D45A-3BA6-4A8F-BA4D-BCF529F15FD3.jpeg

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bags that are 5 x 11 but bought a heat press off amazon. So that way you can choose what size you want. Never heard of vacuum sealing. I hope that helps!!;)

EC24D45A-3BA6-4A8F-BA4D-BCF529F15FD3.jpeg

It's just heat sealing. Using one like Denisk posted will work well.

Haha i said vacuum seal because that the only way I knew how to describe it! Thanks for the info guys!

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been curious about this as well. How does one trap enough air in the bag when sealing?

I don’t trap any air lol. My sps or Zoas that I ship never have an issue. But fish is a different story.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a lot of coral and fish online and I've never gotten a bag that was heat sealed. Always rubber bands or those heavy duty staples.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a lot of coral and fish online and I've never gotten a bag that was heat sealed. Always rubber bands or those heavy duty staples.

That sounds irresponsible. I've had them heat sealed AND metal rings but never just rings/rubber bands alone.

The only trick is to get as much air out of the bag as possible. Last thing you want is a coral getting stuck in an air bubble.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same, I’ve only bought fish from divers den and they come banded and crimped. No heat seal and always have air.

Wwc, jfox, and Poto just rubber bands.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, I’ve only bought fish from divers den and they come banded and crimped. No heat seal and always have air.

Interesting! Considering I've had bags from the LFS 2-3 miles away leak, I'd be pretty annoyed at that. A bag sealer is like $40 they can up their game..

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, when the leaders in the industry have no problems shipping with a crimp and/or rubberbands that's good enough for me.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heat seal even when local dudes pick up at my house. It’s just easy and I don’t waste my wife’s baggies.

A couple of years ago a bought a cheap sealer and literally about 200 yards of 3 mm poly tubing in two different sizes. It was about $30 for a lifetime supply.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back