how does temperature affect a reef tank? - QUESTION not answer

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to say this first, I am not an experienced reef keeper and am not looking to keep this fish, just looking for information because it is interesting to me.

I live in Australia and was reading about the Lennardi wrasse which apparently likes much cooler temperatures than most reef tanks are kept at. Has anyone figured out exactly what temperature range it is most comfortable with. What are the boundaries for normal reef tanks in terms of high and low temperatures?

My question is, How does high versus low temperature affect the inhabitants in a reef tank? What is too high and too low? Can we slowly (over months) acclimate a lennardi wrasse to live in more normal reef temperatures or would it be better to lower the temperature of our reef tank to suit it. Or a combination of the two?

Thanks guys look forward to hearing your response!!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a biological standpoint metabolism tends to slow with lower temperatures. I have read but have no experience with, that keeping cool water species in warm water reduces life expectancy and increases the risk of stress related illness. My reef (corals and inverts seem ok but not thriving as low as 75. Optimum is 78 to 80, in my opinion. I have no facts to back that. Above 80 and I notice increased stress in my coral. That being said on a reef, some coral is subjected to high Temps or even open air direct sun during low tide and do fine.
Not a real answer I guess... just anecdotal experience.

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a biological standpoint metabolism tends to slow with lower temperatures. I have read but have no experience with, that keeping cool water species in warm water reduces life expectancy and increases the risk of stress related illness. My reef (corals and inverts seem ok but not thriving as low as 75. Optimum is 78 to 80, in my opinion. I have no facts to back that. Above 80 and I notice increased stress in my coral. That being said on a reef, some coral is subjected to high Temps or even open air direct sun during low tide and do fine.
Not a real answer I guess... just anecdotal experience.
Thanks for replying! Super interesting appreciate you taking the time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back