How effective are Berghia Nudibranch

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 gallon fluval tank that has been running for 8 months now. Everything has been running great. A while back on one of my corals I received had aisptasia on it. I glued it and never saw it again. Recently I got some new coral and I noticed some aipstasia popping up 3 to be exact. I can glue them and forget about it but I like having a excuse to use a more natural approach so I purchased 3 berghia Nudibranch that are a quarter inch. I am curious to see peoples experiences with them. How effective are they at hunting down Aiptasia and removing them from a tank. Will 3 be enough to knock out this little infestation I have. Also I know that they will starve once they have eaten and plan on rehoming them to someone local with similiar problem. Thanks for any advice and below is a picture of the aiptasia.

aipstasia.jpg

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used twice with 100% success (though the aiptasia eventually comes back). I would probably get 4-5. Realize, the Berghai you put in there aren't going to make a difference. It is their offspring that will eliminate the aiptasia, and it will take weeks if not a couple of months.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are effective. Keep in mind though that some fish (especially wrasses) will eat nudibranches.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got like 16 each time in my tank (6'x2'x19" with lots of flow). Once their numbers get high, the flow carries them to new places which helps the process. Also realize that they feed at night. You won't likely see them during the day until they are at plague proportions and aiptasia is about gone.

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if is because of the aiptasias in the overflow. i have none in my display or sump, but never could completely eradicate because of the ones that make it into the overflow. if the bergias don't like high flow, i assume they will not be able to get to the ones in the overflow. anyone have experience with complete eradication including the overflow with berghias?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that berghia will never achieve 100% elimination. They're about the only reliable way to deal with a plague of aiptasia, but expecting them to completely eradicate aiptasia is unrealistic - although paradoxically, the chances of complete elimination grow with the size of your tank and the volume of aiptasia in your system.

Berghia are slow and methodical and not terrifically great hunters. To a certain extent, them finding an aiptasia is a matter of blind chance. As they reproduce and begin consuming aiptasia, it becomes increasingly difficult for the berghia to find the remaining prey animals. Once the aiptasia are more or less consumed, it becomes a question or whether the berghia will find the last stragglers before they themselves starve to death. In a larger tank, your berghia population will naturally be larger, so you have a better chance for enough of them to survive long enough to completely eliminate aiptasia before they die.

And of course, if you have any aiptasia in hard-to-reach locations (like an overflow hiding in your sump), berghia will have a harder time eliminating those holdouts.

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that berghia will never achieve 100% elimination. They're about the only reliable way to deal with a plague of aiptasia, but expecting them to completely eradicate aiptasia is unrealistic - although paradoxically, the chances of complete elimination grow with the size of your tank and the volume of aiptasia in your system.

Berghia are slow and methodical and not terrifically great hunters. To a certain extent, them finding an aiptasia is a matter of blind chance. As they reproduce and begin consuming aiptasia, it becomes increasingly difficult for the berghia to find the remaining prey animals. Once the aiptasia are more or less consumed, it becomes a question or whether the berghia will find the last stragglers before they themselves starve to death. In a larger tank, your berghia population will naturally be larger, so you have a better chance for enough of them to survive long enough to completely eliminate aiptasia before they die.

And of course, if you have any aiptasia in hard-to-reach locations (like an overflow hiding in your sump), berghia will have a harder time eliminating those holdouts.
Thank you for the thorough explanation!

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I couldn’t agree more. They worked in my tank - but eventually they died before getting every single one. I use F Aptasia now if any pop up but I haven’t seen any in a long time.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hesitant in trying them due to the price but it was that or give up the fight. Best decision I have made. Been about 7 months now since the last time I saw an aptasia in my tank and they have not returned. This was an issue in a 30 and 75 gallon and worked in both. Some before and close to after pictures. If they attach correctly. Not sure they stayed in order as well. But tried.

Attachments

• 6FE9CF2E-087E-4398-B10A-27BE4E391D72.jpeg
    6FE9CF2E-087E-4398-B10A-27BE4E391D72.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 165
  • AFE50042-F293-4932-B6DD-9755EA12C807.jpeg
    AFE50042-F293-4932-B6DD-9755EA12C807.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 174
  • DED8CFFE-7649-426B-BF0B-CE64A0C2D912.jpeg
    DED8CFFE-7649-426B-BF0B-CE64A0C2D912.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 167
  • E8C9AA49-FCA4-48C7-8486-22ADA0BB5606.jpeg
    E8C9AA49-FCA4-48C7-8486-22ADA0BB5606.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 137
  • D30B32E2-A218-41B1-91DB-5C70A31FFC6A.jpeg
    D30B32E2-A218-41B1-91DB-5C70A31FFC6A.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 142
  • DB43A032-BC40-468B-B21C-5818915AF100.jpeg
    DB43A032-BC40-468B-B21C-5818915AF100.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 148

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hesitant in trying them due to the price but it was that or give up the fight. Best decision I have made. Been about 7 months now since the last time I saw an aptasia in my tank and they have not returned. This was an issue in a 30 and 75 gallon and worked in both. Some before and close to after pictures. If they attach correctly. Not sure they stayed in order as well. But tried.
I didn’t even want anyone to see my tank when it was that bad. Just looking at the pics now I’m second guessing my post. But they took care of them 100%. Just feel bad they die off when they run out of food. Couldn’t find anyone local that needed them once my tank was aptasia free.

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 gallon fluval tank that has been running for 8 months now. Everything has been running great. A while back on one of my corals I received had aisptasia on it. I glued it and never saw it again. Recently I got some new coral and I noticed some aipstasia popping up 3 to be exact. I can glue them and forget about it but I like having a excuse to use a more natural approach so I purchased 3 berghia Nudibranch that are a quarter inch. I am curious to see peoples experiences with them. How effective are they at hunting down Aiptasia and removing them from a tank. Will 3 be enough to knock out this little infestation I have. Also I know that they will starve once they have eaten and plan on rehoming them to someone local with similiar problem. Thanks for any advice and below is a picture of the aiptasia.

aipstasia.jpg
Hard to see it well enough to be sure, but presuming you are talking about the polyp in the center of the pic, that looks more like a Majano anemone than an Aiptasia. Berghia won’t touch Majanos.

Berghia work great on Aiptasia though, they are the best option out there.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% effective on the three occasions I have used them

They are the only solution that completely eradicate the aiptasia all other options merely control them with varying degrees of success or failure

Once they have done their work the only way aiptasia return is if they are re introduced on a coral,a snail live rock etc....the army of offspring will hunt every last one down

Cry havoc and let slip the Berghia of War

IMG_20210309_082903.jpg

badonkadonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both Berghia and peppermint shrimp and find the shrimp to be the most effective. Berghia disappear once the aiptasia are "gone" (they never really seem to be entirely gone), but the shrimp can stay around a lot longer. And the peppermints are easier to find and cheap (I usually get them from Reeftopia by the dozen, and order some emerald crabs, golden astrea snails, nerites, fish, and sea fans to reach the free shipping threshold - seems to hold me over a few years before the aiptasia return). Just don't expect to see results overnight. I usually notice a month or two later when I stop paying attention that "oh, no aiptasia" and I don't even see the Peps unless the rocks are overturned (I have a bunch of wrasses that probably eat some, and the survivors learn to keep a low profile). Berghia are also a favorite food of many fish, and may not survive the first day - they're not good at hiding. I bred them for a while in a spare 10 gallon tank, and gave them away but ran out of their food (aiptasia covered rocks - which I couldn't culture fast enough to keep up with the Berghias).

Last edited:

MapleLeafReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all very reassuring that the berghia I bought will eventually do the trick....but at this point I'm not even sure they are still alive. I have 120g DT and introduced 10 berghia about 2 weeks ago. They promptly disappeared into some rock never to be seen again. I only have 3 clowns 2 damsels and a rabbit fish at the moment. Crabs, snails and shrimp of course. Do you think the berghia are still alive? They're quite expensive where I live so I dont want to buy more if I dont need to or if one of my critters things they're yummy.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all very reassuring that the berghia I bought will eventually do the trick....but at this point I'm not even sure they are still alive. I have 120g DT and introduced 10 berghia about 2 weeks ago. They promptly disappeared into some rock never to be seen again. I only have 3 clowns 2 damsels and a rabbit fish at the moment. Crabs, snails and shrimp of course. Do you think the berghia are still alive? They're quite expensive where I live so I dont want to buy more if I dont need to or if one of my critters things they're yummy.

As seen in this thread they are very effective for many, but will point out they are useless for some people as well. You really need them to breed in tank to work well and depending on your tank and livestock that may not happen sucessfully and they(or their eggs) may just end up an expensive treat for your livestock. The eggs can also be eaten by many other critters that may be in your tank.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime, if you dont have any predators of berghia in your tank, they will do a great job.. but patience is the key. I would give them another couple weeks. Take a look at night with a flashlight. The only time I ever saw mine were when the aiptasia were gone, they were out crawling on the glass during the day looking for food. I recently tried berghias for a 2nd time, and no luck. Of course I had a wrasse and porkfish. Both times were in a similar sized tank to yours with 6-8 berghias. First time they completely took out a moderate outbreak, second time it was like I never put them in the tank. An idea I have is to start them off in my sump and feed them aiptasia from my display and let them breed like crazy away from predators..but I have a feeling that would just mean more food for my fish.

Last edited:

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is completely typical and no particular cause for concern. They are very good at hiding. And they eat the hidden Aiptasia first so you probably won’t see any improvement for a while, maybe a couple months, even if all is going to plan.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're likely in there somewhere. I have somewhat similar stock...I bought ONE Berghia as a little experiment with about 4 or 5 Aiptasia , 3-4 weeks later eradicated, was kinda shocked at the effectiveness to be honest. Tried to find the little hero afterward to no avail unfortunately, as I wanted to rehome it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back