ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210602_155725.jpg
my gsp started 3 months ago about quarter size, I isolated it on a freestanding rock so that it can't reach any other rocks...picture might be deceiving in size, its about the size of an American dollar wrapped around the top of that rock bottom left corner...
Ok great thanks.
Ive got plants in freshwater tanks that got to trim fortnightly and sounds like will take quite some time to cover my back wall and watched some you tube videos and can easily slice off with razor blade if on flat surface like glass

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One piece of advice... you may want to be cautious with GSP on the overflow. It will likely overgrow and clog your overflow... it would be a challenge to clean up if it does.
Thanks for advice.yeah was planning on never letting it go closer than 2 inch from the top of overflow where teeth of overflow is

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might be the only person in the world that can't grow gsp :cool:
Got 2 free pieces about 3 months ago and they haven't grown an inch. They are always out and look great, but simply don't grow. Which I don't mind at all. Everything else in the tank, especially the Discos, grow like crazy.
Ha ha.some i would think would say you very lucky as doesnt get good reviews at all it seems.but im new to saltwater so like most noobs like the moving/ flowing of soft corals and as a newbie softies more tolerant of noob mistakes so win win

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a seperate note,what about toadatools?
Im reading alot the other week about them letting off chemicals as defence mechanism to ward off other corals,kind of puts me off them,and i see some grow quite large which does look kind of cool but i only a 300 litre tank so having one coral so big eventually not sure if would like it.whats views on that if i may ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a toadstool for eight months and it hasn't grown an inch. So I'm pretty sure they ain't the fastest growers, if that is a concern of yours. I do have 5 leathers packed in the tank and no issues with toxins (other than potentially slow growth on the leathers). Sinularia and lobo leathers grow much faster.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a toadstool for eight months and it hasn't grown an inch. So I'm pretty sure they ain't the fastest growers, if that is a concern of yours.
You think that with all varietys or just certain ones ?
Ovbiously flow and lights/ nutrients would affect growth i would of guessed.i would want bright one like below

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few and only one hasn't survived. That was the worst. I I qted it and waited and watched it closely. Woke up one day smelled something awfull. As I got closer to the tank it got so strong I almost puked. Turned on the light and took it out and tossed it. Died on me.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think that with all varietys or just certain ones ?
Ovbiously flow and lights/ nutrients would affect growth i would of guessed.i would want bright one like below
Toadstool seems to be the slowest grower. Finger and devils hand grow much faster. Location also plays a big part. If you want it big, it may be best to buy it big though.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this toadstool leather absolutely massive.im unsure if would like this big or not.i know would take quite some time to reach this but still....
My tank quite deep ( 30 inch to top of hood but 26 inch from bottom glass till water level) wouldnt buy such a deep tank ever again as right ball ache trying to reach sand bed lolso with time could reach tall for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-222014_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210603-222014_Google.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool seems to be the slowest grower. Finger and devils hand grow much faster. Location also plays a big part. If you want it big, it may be best to buy it big though.
Ok thanks will remember this and like anything i buy for tank.will research best i can before.and hopefully least impulse buys at lfs as possible ha ha

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the free toadstool I got from ispf over a year ago. It's maybe doubled in size. It sheds every few weeks and has done better since I moved it to a med high flow and higher light.
IMG_20200820_103404.jpg

Rubber Ducky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a seperate note,what about toadatools?
Im reading alot the other week about them letting off chemicals as defence mechanism to ward off other corals,kind of puts me off them,and i see some grow quite large which does look kind of cool but i only a 300 litre tank so having one coral so big eventually not sure if would like it.whats views on that if i may ?
20210602_155717.jpg

My toadstool almost died when I got it, 5 months ago, and it was about 3 inches wide, now its about 5 inches wide...on a fun side note, a dime sized piece of it broke off, and I nursed that lil guy back to life, and he's about the size of a quarter, looks like a lil green mushroom...

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210602_155717.jpg

My toadstool almost died when I got it, 5 months ago, and it was about 3 inches wide, now its about 5 inches wide...on a fun side note, a dime sized piece of it broke off, and I nursed that lil guy back to life, and he's about the size of a quarter, looks like a lil green mushroom...
Yeah think i see it on sandbed.seems like yours growing at decent rate

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back