How fast does green star polyps grow?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Im seeing lots lots people say gsp grows so fast and spreads all over like a weed.
I understand best to isolate the gsp best you can on a island or something in the sand for example as it doesnt like to grow on the sand bed etc etc.
But im not actually seeing or reading how fast it actually grows,so let's just say in the tank is ideal parameters,ideal light, everything is ideal how many inches per month, per 3 month etc does it grow?
And has anyone any pictures of a before and after and timeline it took to grow that much please.
Just a very curious person and understand one person's fast may not be another persons fast.
Thanks in advance ^_^

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It depends on light, amount of water flow and nutrients but at progressive rate

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick reply but any pictures ?
One the reasons is im wanting to create a back wall of gsp by either gluing gsp to glass at bottom and let it grow upwards towards the light and if i would need to buy 2 - 5 frags or more and glue or even place a frag of it on a plug or some rock rubble and juat lean it against back wall.
As quick could mean take 2 months to cover back wall of tank or quick could mean 2 years.again just imagine all conditions are ideal.
Thanks

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on which species of GSP you get , branching , neon green , metallic , the normal ones with the white star in the middle. For me the metallic green GSp grows like crazy

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on which species of GSP you get , branching , neon green , metallic , the normal ones with the white star in the middle. For me the metallic green GSp grows like crazy
More than likely be neon green star polyps as want brighest possible.so think this the brighest.
Will just buy 2- 3 frags of it as lfs i be getting it from quite far drive away,like over a hour so want to get enough frags all at once and want it all same colour so less chance getting different gsp if buy together.
And just see how fast it actually grows.
Thanks for reply everyone

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends directly on what it has available to grow on. If it has lots of rock to grab on to, it can cover it in weeks. Mine has grown little since I got it because I keep it far from everything else.
Be on the back wall on glass and plastic overflow only.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have neon green about mid way down in a 24" deep tank. It was about the size of a quarter when I got it. It's about as big around as a baseball after 6 months.

Attachments

• GSP.jpg
    GSP.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 253

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might be the only person in the world that can't grow gsp :cool:
Got 2 free pieces about 3 months ago and they haven't grown an inch. They are always out and look great, but simply don't grow. Which I don't mind at all. Everything else in the tank, especially the Discos, grow like crazy.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One piece of advice... you may want to be cautious with GSP on the overflow. It will likely overgrow and clog your overflow... it would be a challenge to clean up if it does.
Random but I have mine on my overflow and a sponge is taking it over lol

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked into water safe magnets you could glue it to? I know you have a aio right.

Or was that you @Sharkbait19
I got 300 litre display and sump.think thats 80 us gallons and 90 litres sump that holds 60 litres when running.
But yeah ive done little reading on them magnets but was just planning gluing frag onto clean glass under water or placing gsp onto a rock rubble ( decent sized so doesnt move in the flow ) and letting it grow up the glass to the light

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have neon green about mid way down in a 24" deep tank. It was about the size of a quarter when I got it. It's about as big around as a baseball after 6 months.
Ok that sounds quite reasonable.as ive had only freshwater tanks im like grows like a weed,what this actually mean? Im thinking grows as fast as fast growing plant in freshwater but if you saying took 6 months quarter sized - baseball sized then doesnt grow as fast as i thought so enough time to keep it in check ( i say confidently without ever owning it ha ha )

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might be the only person in the world that can't grow gsp :cool:
Got 2 free pieces about 3 months ago and they haven't grown an inch. They are always out and look great, but simply don't grow. Which I don't mind at all. Everything else in the tank, especially the Discos, grow like crazy.
Are they on the sand or rock? That makes a huge difference.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back