how fast trophonts die in CP

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, thats what I asked for. But do we know how fast they are losing their abilities to infect. 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour? etc.

It cannot be too much isnt that otherwise they would frequently reinfect in HT.

I tried to find some studies about chloroquine and ich, velvet, quinins and malaria in general.

My impression is that in better researched parasites prolonged exposure might affect even encysted or even dormant stages or theront development while encysted. Ofc those are different parasites with sometimes chloroquine affecting them in a different way as far as I understand.

I didn't find an actual experiment which would specifically test this for ich, which is interesting cause tomont collection for research doesn't look that hard, there seems to be ttm like methods out there for that.

Theronts dieing/losing their ability to infect "instantly" upon release could actually be bad theront development in the encysted stage, maybe due to protomont or tomont being affected, so unviable theronts could be released, which can be mistaken with instant loss of ability to infect.

Or maybe there are studies about this out there, I just didnt spend enough time looking for them. If you ever find your links to studies share them pls :)
Most of my recollection was based on articles that maybe had one sentence presuming 'what was happening'. I will check though.

OP
OP
R

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to believe but I already got answers to some of my questions.

I am towards the end of the ich treatment of my clowns - they are spot free for 18 days (24 days total - I am setting up a new tank for them and its late) - and 2 days ago I also added a dose of general cure to the 75% new water.

Then now I am observing a white spot on the female - and it just struck me the same moment that I forgot to add the CP to the new water 2 days ago - as I've been messing with the general cure I forgot it. I counted the number missing pills and its right, I missed a round, so CP concentration is below 3.75mg/l for two days.

This means this theront managed to develop as a healthy one even though tomont and protomont was kept at 15mg/l CP (actually 18mg/l initially - when the protomont fell off the fish) in a sterile freshly setup HT until exactly two days ago. So it seems protomont and tomont are not that affected and CP really kills the theronts quite fast.

From now on I will always use the shortest possible time for CP treatment, only wait until all trophonts surely fell off and then thats it (I think 10 days is the shortest time anyone is using atm).

It seems to me there is no point in waiting longer than that - reading up on ich I've read in studies that average hatching time is around 2 weeks and - medicated water or not - I guess it's still a good idea to remove fish before the tomonts in the HT start releasing theronts en mass. (plus danger of biodegradation in a longer running tank).

If I say this trophont's mum fell off after 3 days in HT, encysted in 2 days, then lets say infected the fish 2 days ago, then mum hatched in 17 days - it spent first 8 days in 27-28C and next 16 days in 24-25C water.

I've seen spots on the fish until the 6th day, so as per the above, I should have a theront invasion in the tank for the next few days :anxious-face-with-sweat:

Mehh, I can start again my 10 days wait - I wish I could start with a fresh HT and then do the 10 days there without most the tomonts hatching now in the HT...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back