How Full Is Too Full?

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have this LifeGard 29g AIO. When is full too full? I have been watching the water level in the back-sump go down over the past few days. I finally got my RODI system so I figured I would top it off. I tried making the tank and the back-sump the same level but suddenly it came VERY close to overflowing the sides of the tank. So, how full should the back-sump be? It has 4 chambers that all seem to have a mind of their own. Should the back-sump and the main tank all be within 1/4-1/2" from the top? (Photo is after I took out some water)
IMG_1650.jpg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 10 gallon and I find it works best with the strainer in the bottom. Are you using the strainer?

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 10 gallon and I find it works best with the strainer in the bottom. Are you using the strainer?

So, the tank came with the strainer mesh placed at the bottom of the 2nd section. It was placed all the way at the bottom.

Section 1: Heater
Section 2: Strainer mesh + Bio Balls (although they float between #2 and #3 sections.
Section 3: Carbon Balls
Section 4: Probes + return pump

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know whether you have fish yet, or what type, but with the water level so high, fish might tend to go over into ‘unwanted’ areas of you AIO.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the strainer mesh. The plumbing strainer that goes in the bottom of the first chamber on the display side. It looks like this.
f877f8eb0e7b5b50db4359afea4d50dc.jpg

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the strainer mesh. The plumbing strainer that goes in the bottom of the first chamber on the display side. It looks like this.

Yes, I have the strainer installed (not the plug).

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lifegard pumps also have a flow control dial on the inlet. I believe the one included with the 24 gallon is a 300 gallon an hour ish pump. I really don't think you need 10X turn over through the filter so you could also turn the dial down if you want to.

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lifegard pumps also have a flow control dial on the inlet. I believe the one included with the 24 gallon is a 300 gallon an hour ish pump. I really don't think you need 10X turn over through the filter so you could also turn the dial down if you want to.

I believe your right. Maybe I need to turn it down a little. It feels like more water is coming in than can go out through the strainer and overflow slots.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the manual might show the recommended water level, but I aim for about 3/4 of the way full in the return pump section on my IM10 and JBJ30. A little higher if you manually top off, lower if using an ATO.

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the manual might show the recommended water level, but I aim for about 3/4 of the way full in the return pump section on my IM10 and JBJ30. A little higher if you manually top off, lower if using an ATO.

One problem is that it did not come with the manual and I cannot find one online.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem is that it did not come with the manual and I cannot find one online.
I know. I have mentioned this to lifegard but no manual yet. If you have questions. Call Lifegard and ask for Neil. he is always very helpfull and he is the company owner so he knows more about his products than the rest of his staff.

I am honestly a big fan of lifegard because they offer entry level products at entry level price points but they are still way better than other entry level stuff like aqueon or marineland. The value in lifegard stuff is just awesome.

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. I have mentioned this to lifegard but no manual yet. If you have questions. Call Lifegard and ask for Neil. he is always very helpfull and he is the company owner so he knows more about his products than the rest of his staff.

I am honestly a big fan of lifegard because they offer entry level products at entry level price points but they are still way better than other entry level stuff like aqueon or marineland. The value in lifegard stuff is just awesome.

Just called but I guess I missed their support person. They will call me back on Monday.

One other thing about this tank is that on their site they say the "Quiet One" pump is so quiet you will not even know its running. Mine is so loud my wife sometimes has to turn up her phone volume because she is in the same room. Is that normal for "The Quiet One"?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just called but I guess I missed their support person. They will call me back on Monday.

One other thing about this tank is that on their site they say the "Quiet One" pump is so quiet you will not even know its running. Mine is so loud my wife sometimes has to turn up her phone volume because she is in the same room. Is that normal for "The Quiet One"?
I would describe quiet 1s as quite for the price.

As some one who has been in the hobby for 10 years when these pumps were first released they truly were extremely quiet because everything was loud. Now there are modern DC pumps and higher quality AC pumps that are nearly inaudible. In Today's world they are loud. I don't think they are louder than any other pump that sells for $18. for $40 you could get a cobalt MaxiJet that would be much quieter but its more than twice the cost.

I personally am not bothered by the noise from a quiet one but I have also worked on large industrial aquarium pumps that are truly loud so my standards are a bit different than most.

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would describe quiet 1s as quite for the price.

As some one who has been in the hobby for 10 years when these pumps were first released they truly were extremely quiet because everything was loud. Now there are modern DC pumps and higher quality AC pumps that are nearly inaudible. In Today's world they are loud. I don't think they are louder than any other pump that sells for $18. for $40 you could get a cobalt MaxiJet that would be much quieter but its more than twice the cost.

I personally am not bothered by the noise from a quiet one but I have also worked on large industrial aquarium pumps that are truly loud so my standards are a bit different than most.

Does this sound normal?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is louder than the pump should be. I would try taking it apart and making sure everything is correctly assembled and if all looks good I would ask Lifeguard to replace it under warranty.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back