How have your tastes changed?

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this hobby with damsels and moved up to clownfish. My first tang was a yellow, then I moved up to a Powder Blue. While browsing for fish or coral my interest has changed over the years. Today, one of my favorite fish is a filefish, a colorless fish that I would have walked right past when I started this obsession.

How have you evolved in the hobby?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had softies and very little lps. Now I only keep LPS, SPS, and Clams. I love stony animals the most because they have brighter colors, more personality (they eat), and allow me to develop my skills of keeping my tank stable which is definitely a balancing act.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-15 years ago I wanted multiple tanks, and wanted to keep multiple specific species/variants of fish, coral, and inverts. Things looked like a science experiment but I enjoyed it.

Now my main priority is having one good looking tank. An appropriate sized tank that fits in with the style of our home. Filled with colorful interesting inhabitants. Not too picky on specific species anymore.

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't changed just worked until I could afford a tank big enough to hold what I wanted.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started back in 2002 and loved LPS and softy’s mostly cause that’s what we could get. Then I got the SPS bug or it was more like the challenge of SPS. I enjoyed that till I grew all these colony’s and kinda proved to myself I could do it and missed a tank full of brightly colored flowing LPS. I recently redid my tank and got rid of most of the sticks I had except for a few tiny frags to start over and aqua scaped with an LPS dominate system in mind. Now I am getting hooked on high end shrooms but my wallet is keeping me on a short leash. With age I have kinda gotten more lazy on my testing and I don’t have time to stress about $100+ frags dying all the time. I have gone back to my roots and could not be happier with my tank

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the best part of this hobby; all of the changes. I used to love sand and soft corals. Not I have bare bottom and only Sps. I used to love all of the gadgets, and now I like the minimalistic approach I’ve taken. It keeps it interesting.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since starting reefing years and years ago, watching my tangs, I have come to very much enjoy Brussel Sprouts baked with an olive oil drizzle and garlic with a touch of salt. Before I could not stand them. Coincidence? I think not.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE got into the salt hobby and evolved into a lifestyle. The meaning of that to us is we try harder to not just have a certain critter ( weve had horses to snakes, and parrots to raccoons , all were super cool) but to have their mates and instead of them being part of our family we r trieing to become part of theirs. We have a pair of seahorses and a pair of dragonets and watching them dance , play, protect, as well as exist w other critters is amazeing. Curious how many of their trates or actions towards each other can translate across to us. Just cant wait till they start haveing n dealing w their young so hopefully we can find an easier way to deal w/ age gaps,LOL

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still cheap
the mindy project comedy GIF by HULU

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have my tastes changed?

It use to bother my eating a fish sandwich while sitting in front of the tank wondering if Tangs tasted like Cod.

Now it doesn't bother me

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back