How have your tastes changed?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tastes haven’t changed so much as I have naturally evolved as most do in the hobby from softies, LPS to SPS. I have multiple tanks however and do think in the future I’ll get back to just one.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was obsessed with acros and anemones 18 years ago and I still am today. Except now I’m not struggling to keep them alive and I’m spawning them in captivity. Taste has remained the same, skills have changed.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was obsessed with acros and anemones 18 years ago and I still am today. Except now I’m not struggling to keep them alive and I’m spawning them in captivity. Taste has remained the same, skills have changed.
Spawning!?! Amazing man! Well done! Do you have any more info, photos etc?

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to get fish because they were pretty or cool. Now, I just get peaceful fish. I hate finding a fish that died from fighting with another fish. I actually like alot of drab fish, like molly miller blennies or clingfish. ha

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spawning!?! Amazing man! Well done! Do you have any more info, photos etc?
I’m working with the University of Texas on a spawning project. I had multiple colonies spawn this year, but the only successful fertilization I’m aware of is a gold torch. Next year I’ll hopefully have a larger pool of mature corals to spawn so I can have better chances of cross fertilization of colonies of the same species. Here’s a photo of the 1 month old gold torch:
CFD94325-4134-40A2-AA1F-FAC003FA6701.jpeg

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My taste in fish and corals has stayed the same over the last decade and a half. For example, I just bought a Royal Gramma which is one of the most ubiquitous, easy to obtain fish in our hobby. Basically run-of-the-mill. but I am still stoked and can't take my eyes off the fish because I just love everything about it.

What's changed for me is how I like to arrange the rockwork. My last reef was during the era of rock walls--everyone arranged their live rock in these monoliths that completely blocked out the back of the tank. I am absolutely in love with the modern styles of aquascaping our tanks.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be obsessed with cube and hexagon tanks. Actually had a 28 plexiglass hex back when they were the thing. Had one of those 55 glass hex tanks that were notorious for blowing seams...which mine did.

I'm now into longer, shallower tanks and have lost any care about keeping fish. Just want any fast growing SPS or big exotic zoa I can afford and see how big I can grow it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have went from one extreme to another. I'm at the place in my life that easier is better when it comes to coral and I've really grown to liking mushroom corals and other vibrant softies!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back